Help me get rid of my PC!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    I would love more than anything to throw my pc off a cliff and be left with only my MBP. The problem is I NEED quicken, and my wife uses our desktop for photography and other work related things like logging in to check emails that can only be done on a PC.

I would just put windows on my mbp, but it only has 25GB left (out of 160gb), and I still need to install logic. So what should I do?

Any way I can make this work with a large external hard drive? Or should I buy a cheap old macmini and use it primarily for a windows machine for quicken and for my wife to get onto her work computer etc?

BTW, the main reason I want to get rid of the dang computer is that there are just way too many cords... and pcs just plain suck.
  2. juanster macrumors 68020

Mar 2, 2007
    whata bout a bigger hd?
    and what kind of email is only windows available i ve never heard of those. I could totally be wrong though, but aren't emails accesible by any computer? any os?
  3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    That sounds good, but I want a 7200rpm because I like to record audio occasionally. It is not email, it is remote access to her work computer...
  4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2008
    phased to this universe
    Well... a bigger SATA drive is about $106 CDN +tax from (250 GB Seagate). This only gives you an extra 90GB though.
    A refurb mini can be had for $469 if you catch the page at the right time. There is typically a 1.83 C2D for $539 on the refurb page. Add the cost of your OS if you are not selling the machine (about $90 for XP Home)

With the mini, at least you could use the monitor that you have hooked up to the PC.
  5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

Jan 19, 2008
    In my world
    Depending on how she remotes in, i would guess she can do the same from a Mac. I use a VPN and access my work Network just fine from my Mac. There should be a Mac solution after finding out what she uses on the PC.