Help me get this mac online.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gaelan, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

well got my first mac today. everything seemed to be going okay until i tried to connect to the internet. i have a dlink router with a netgear WAP on one of the ports. all the wireless stuff can connect from my living room. my pc is wired along with my voip box...they both work.

i can't get this imac on the internet. it is able to share files throught the router (wired), but it cannot get on the web. the router and pc can ping everthing on the network.

need some help...need to see some of the "it just works" cause right now its not.
    i would like to run it wirelessly, but now i'd take anything.

wired or wireless, this thing does not want to go online.

my isp support said call teh router guys...router guys just graduated english 101. does apple support things like this?

everything can talk in my house, but the imac cannot get to the internet. i really wanted this to be an easy switch, but so far no one in the house is happy with this.:confused:

2. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

According to Finder/Sys Pref/Network...show network status i have the following:

"built in ethernet" currently active and has the IP address ###. you are connected to the internet via Built in Ethernet.

"airport" AirPort is connected to the network NETGEAR.

After several hours, I give up. Please post possible fixes or a site with a comprehensive method for getting macs online.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Your netgear is probably blocking all unknown MAC ids from getting to the internet.

4. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

access control is set to allow the mac address.

station list is reporting the mac address being forwarded. i assume it is forwarding to my router?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The router is where your problem lies, no doubt about it. I don't know netgear routers from bupkis. Sorry.

6. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

netgear = wireless access point

which is connected to a port on my dlink router DI604

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OK. Any filters on the D-Link blocking WAN access?

8. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

no WAN

there is a filter button that has options to block LAN users from the internet. nothing seems to be currently blocked at the moment. i reset to factory settings earlier tonight to hopefully eliminate any previous rules that i set up.