Help me guys - carrier info missing.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TangoDown, Sep 17, 2010.

1. TangoDown macrumors regular

Hi all - I've just bought a 3GS and the carrier information is missing. I can't send MMS or use the net, the Cellular Data Network tab is missing from settings, no MMS option from the photos menu (my BIGGEST problem :( ) etc. I'm on O2- UK
    I've hooked it up to Tiny Umbrella and lo - all the blobs are there so the supposedly naive chap I got it off obviously restored it from a JB'd state before selling it to me..

What do I do to get my carrier info/cellular data tab back?
    It's currently on 4.0.2.

Help me MacRumours - you're my only hope...

Thanks.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you got your blobs start by restoring to a fresh FW and see what happen, the phone my be lock to another network...

3. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, don't say that..
    He reckons he got it from O2 6 months ago. I've checked with apple and there is 5+ months of warranty on it left. It's not JB'd now and my O2 sim works in it?

Thanks btw! :)

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Then you should be cool, if the SIM works. he may had just do a weird restore from backup or something. since you have all your SHSH, it should not be a problem. Go ahead and restore to 4.0.1, set it up as a new phone on itunes and re-try. I am pretty sure it should do the trick.

5. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks buddy. I'll set about doing that later and let you know. Appreciate the help.
    :apple:

6. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

This happened to me when I went from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 -- the only thing I could do is restore (which did fix it). I couldn't send/receive MMS/SMS or use any data. I could make calls, though. I tried updating the carrier file a few times and still nothing. Hopefully it works out for you.

7. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks mate.

Unfortunately, despite everything being as it should be (HOST file, Tiny Umbrella etc) I'm now getting the Error 3194 when I try to restore to 4.0.1
    Been trying for the last hour now with no luck.
    If I ping gs.apple.com I even get Saurik's server.

Baffled.
    :confused:

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Are you using DFU restore?
    Are you positive you got 4.0.1 SHSHs (if you want to paste TU output so we can read it, or maybe an screenshot would help).

9. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried DFU and not DFU so far. Both in vain. :confused:

Here's the screeny.

[​IMG]

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Everything seen all right, the last thing to check is the firmware you are trying to restore to, where did you get it? did you download it from a "known" source? let's say...Apple? iPhone 3GS 4.0.1

Have you tried re-downloading it?

11. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. Via links on iClarified and Redmond I downloaded all the ipsw's I have from Apple. In terms of re-downloading, no - but I have a 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 here now and neither will work. All legit d/l's.

Tiny Umbrella keeps adding a # to my apple lines.
    AND the bloody 127.0.0.1 address! I can't stop it?
    I made the HOST file unreadable but TU complains then it can't work.

I'm out of ideas here now.

This is what TU throws into my HOST file.

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am sure you may have already thought of this but try to get a different machine to try it on, for all you have said there is nothing wrong with your setup.

As a last resource, try to upgrade to 4.1 (current Firmware) using iTunes normally and if that works, them try to revert back to 4.0.1. If you will need to be unlock (Now or later) them either avoid this completely or try to use Tiny Umbrella to conserve your baseband.

There is really nothing else I can think of that is going wrong, either something else in the computer is messing things up, or maybe you are missing something that haven't been mentioned yet.

13. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to upgrade to 4.1 as I may have to return this handset yet.

I'm totally baffled here but thanks for your help. Unfortunately I don't have another machine to try with.
    I'm certain the HOST file is messing things up, but after so many entries into it, and TU adding what appears to be my PC (127.0.0.1) my head is spinning..!

Shame. My white 3GS looks like it's going back.

14. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

I lie. I have a dual-boot netbook! D'oh.
    I'll give that a whirl next.

15. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

Netbook to the rescue. Restored to 4.0.1 and JB'd.
    Phew.
    Cheers again for the help and moral support maturola!

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I'm glad to know it worked out, everything seen to be ok .... So something else en your pc was definitely messing things up

17. TangoDown thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, strange one that. I was adding and removing things from the HOST file so am certain something was up there still, I removed all addresses from it and it still refused to play ball. Interestingly, the net book is running Win7 too and also XP. I tried XP first and that spat it out. Then I tried Win7 which seemed to be working but then stopped and gave a different error. When I realised I was using the wrong blob I got hopeful, switched over and voila. Happy days. :p