Help Me, I Can't Install OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Thijsiez, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Thijsiez macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a :apple: Power Macintosh G4 (PCI Graphics) running on Mac OS 9.2.2 and i want to install OS X Tiger. The specifications of my G4 are:
    350 Mhz
    64 MB SDRAM
    10 GB Harddisk
    ROM Version: N1-9.0.1
    I also have a 40 GB harddisk with OS X Tiger installed, but when i change the harddisks, my screen is black and it stays black. What do i have to do or what am i doing wrong??

Greetz,
    Thijsiez

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I believe Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger requires 256MB of ram at minimum.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You definitely need more RAM (get a 512mb chip at least).

Also I think your model needs a firmware update to the latest version for either 10.2 or 10.3 and up, which can be found on Apples website.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Looking at his name, you would say he knows his stuff about the G4... looking at his 'tar you would think the G4 is way ahead of him :D

But, velocityg4 is spot on, so he does know his stuff about the G4. Make sure of the latest firmware update now that you are running Mac OS 9.2.2 (via Software Update control panel => should be okay..), then get a 512 MB PC-100 SDRAM stick, and then get happy with Tiger! :cool::apple:

5. Thijsiez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, but can you send me the link where i can download the firmware update, because that would be a great help
    :)Thanks

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well I still have an iMac G4 and just got a freebie 466Mhz DA G4. Which incidentally is the same model that was my first computer bought costing over 2K in 2001. MR just does not give enough room in the sig anymore so I just put down my most used computers.

Upon looking at Apple's web page and some other's if your G4 is indeed the PCI Graphics Model 'Yikes' then it does not need a Firmware update. The AGP Graphics 'Sawtooth', Gigabit Ethernet and Digital Audio G4's need the update though or if its a B&W upgraded G3. Which I think uses the same or almost exactly the same board as the Yikes. As I recall that was the reason for the 'Yikes' name.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

You still absolutely need the RAM. But have you tried booting off of the Tiger install CD rather than the hard drive with Tiger already installed?