Help Me ID This Griffin Product

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SubaruNation555, Jan 28, 2008.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I was looking at the Griffin Elevator on Griffin's website and I noticed a product in the picture that I would like to purchase as a gift. It looks like a pod that rests on your desktop and has audio in, FireWire and USB ports on it. The idea being it brings all those ports up to your desk so you don't have to fiddle around behind your tower.

I couldn't find it for the life of me on Griffin's website. Maybe it's not made by them as they have JBL and Dell products in the photo too. Anyone have any idea if they make it anymore or where I can find one? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

As best as I could find, that is something called the Marathon RePorter Port Replicator. This was a product that was available around 2003-2004.

I found a short review here:

http://www.macmerc.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=104

The bad news is that Marathon computer seems to be out of business, and I coudln't find their product anywhere else...

3. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, good find, thanks for the links. Too bad it doesn't really exist anymore.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You might think about getting a combo USB/Firewire hub. These would connnect to your computer with two cables (USB and Firewire) and give you additional ports on your desktop.

Lots of people make these, but the Belkin ones look pretty decent. I also like the MiniStack from Newertech. These are the same form factor as the MacMini and fit under an Airport Express Base Station (802.11n), and usb and firewire hubs, and external hard drives if you need one. This might be overkill if you don't want the drive though.

You can find them at OWC (http://www.macsales.com)...