Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justaksing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
A friend of mine borrowed money and gave his mac pro for collateral. Months passed and still no money has been payed to me. However, now I need money to pay bills after being layed off. I told him about it and he told me I can sell it because he has no use for it anymore.
I'm new to macs, so please help me out in pricing this mac pro.

Is about ~$800 a good price for a mac pro with the specs below?

Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Specs:
Used: 2009/2010 Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1
cpu w3690 6 core
8800 GT
250 gb velociraptor
DDR3 Ram 16gb

If not, what should be the going price for this?

I'm from Louisiana. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
That's a strange configuration. The video card is worse than a 2009 would come with, so it's been downgraded to either a 2008 Mac Pro video card, or a PC video card. The hard drive is also smaller than a 2009 would come with, so that's strange too. That CPU wouldn't work in a 2009 unless someone has flashed the 2010 firmware into it, maybe that's what you mean by "2009/2010 Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1".

Basically a great processor and decent ram, but very oddly backward video card and hard drive as if someone shoveled old components into it. On Ebay I would say $500-$700. I think $800 is very optimistic, but I don't know what your area is like. Look at comparable mac pros on Craigslist for an idea.

Reactions: justaksing

justaksing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
That's a strange configuration. The video card is worse than a 2009 would come with, so it's been downgraded to either a 2008 Mac Pro video card, or a PC video card. The hard drive is also smaller than a 2009 would come with, so that's strange too. That CPU wouldn't work in a 2009 unless someone has flashed the 2010 firmware into it, maybe that's what you mean by "2009/2010 Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1".

Basically a great processor and decent ram, but very oddly backward video card and hard drive as if someone shoveled old components into it. On Ebay I would say $500-$700. I think $800 is very optimistic, but I don't know what your area is like. Look at comparable mac pros on Craigslist for an idea.

This helped a lot. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.