Help me install HDAPM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fenekk, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Fenekk macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I was having issues with extremely annoying clicking sounds coming from the hard drive in my Mac Book Pro, issues I noticed after not using it for very long at all. The sounds are so loud and intrusive that I have trouble actually working on my computer without headphones, and the problem occurs very frequently, mostly when I am surfing the web or watching a movie. It makes the sound when it is not being moved, and I had even heard it several times while the computer was actually closed, and asleep (after I went to bed). I was well aware that the problem was probably the disk heads parking after doing a lot of research, therefore I tried to install HDAPM. However, I didn't get it to work, even though I tried several times. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong.

I eventually got so tired of it that I decided I would try replacing the hard drive anyway - why not at least see if that would fix the problem? So I took it to the Apple store and had them replace the drive. They did, and it's still doing this. So I decided I'd try to live with it. Guess what? I can't. I don't know how ANYONE can, honestly.

I'm not sure what the drive I had before was, but the one I have now is TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF.

Perhaps someone could walk me through this? I know that trying to do this again without help is just going to end badly. I'd really appreciate it if someone would be willing to help. Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get it fixed by the Apple Store again. After a couple times they'll give you a new computer.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

4. Fenekk thread starter macrumors newbie

I went back and tried to install again to make sure I knew exactly what the problem was. The problem is that no matter what instructions I follow (I've followed all the instructions I could find in the thread you linked me to; I've already tried all that), every time I try to set the "disk0 max" line it tells me "Command not found". No matter what I do, how I change anything... it doesn't work. And that's frustrating because to me, it feels like everyone is leaving out an important step or assuming that I know something I don't. Every time I try, this is where the process stops.

I've tried using Lingon and everything to assist the process and it still doesn't make any difference at all. That is the real problem here.

5. Darby67 macrumors 6502

6. Fenekk thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be happy to try it if I even knew where to start or what it is!

7. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Perhaps start by clicking the link and reading. There is a link within for the usage guide that gives some info. When you are satisfied you download the Installer Package, double click and you can read the readme there as well. Double click the "Install hdapm" installer package and it will guide you through a few very brief windows just like any other software installer.

Takes all of 2 minutes from start to finish, nothing to do but read and click. It even comes with and Uninstall script or you can manually uninstall as per the instructions on the site.

8. Stephobs macrumors newbie

Stephobs

Any success ? Drives me mad too !

----------

Hi,
    Could you translate please ?
    Zillion thanks
    S.