Help me install Windows 7 via USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Brooklyn8, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Brooklyn8 macrumors member

Brooklyn8

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

I've done the windows 7 install from a flash drive on a bunch of computers, but could not for the life of me get it to work on my MBP. I gave up and burned a DVD and it went off without a hitch.

I believe there's an issue with the EFI that prevents any mac from booting an MBR partition on a flash drive. I'm sure someone smarter then me will post right after with the correct reason :)

3. still in school macrumors 6502

are these legit windows 7? where are you guys getting it from? is it by far better than vista?

4. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

Yes, it is a legal Beta. I don't know if you can still download it from Microsoft, but you can get it from a torrent. By far better than Vista.

5. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

I haven't even been able to get it to install via boot camp assistant, it doesn't regonize the windows 7 .iso

Is there any way to install windows 7 without a superdrive??

6. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I would like also to install my WIN7 beta on my MBA, but I didn't buy a Superdrive, so I would like to know if I can install it using a USB thumb drive or a wireless Mac.

7. kinkster macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=631901

Summary:
    EFI won't recognize flash drives as USB drives. Get rEFIt and hold down option to select it. Wait a bit before selecting it to make sure there is enough time for your computer to "load up" the usb drive. rEFIt doesn't support hot swapping so the usb drive will need to be recognized before you go into rEFIt.

Also format the flash drive as fat32 with MBR partitioning either with disk utility or following the instructions in that thread to do it with windows. Make sure that you copy the .iso over to the flash drive so it has the same directories as the original .iso on your hard drive or dvd. I found this easiest following the windows command promt instructions in that thread.

and make sure you set up a boot camp partition for it first of course. i think windows 7 takes up about 6 GB installed.

Also installing windows with remote disk is impossible unless your talking about paralels/vmware.

8. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

I cannot for the life of me get the Macbook Air to boot via USB. I know the files are good cause the usb stick boots on my pc. I am using rEFIt.

I also tried the vmware solution that was posted in a different thread, I couldn't get vmware to detect my bootcamp partition, I think because it was empty.

I am going to just go buy a external drive tomorrow...

9. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

Picked up a super drive, windows install went smoothly.:)

10. hab1t4t macrumors newbie

still not getting it...

Excuse my naivety on the subject. I'm trying to install Windows 7 via bootcamp for a dual boot setup.

Ok, I have a usb stick with my .iso on it, I have a partition I made with bootcamp, then when I try and proceed with installing windows I get the following:

The installer disk could not be found
    Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized.

How do I get it to point to the USB drive?
    Am I to mount the .iso to the drive? if so, how do I do that?

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

11. Brooklyn8 thread starter macrumors member

Brooklyn8

You can try burning the .iso. I was never able to get bootcamp to recognize my Windows 7 .iso on the USB disk or I think even tried mounting it and it did not work.

12. mustangfan18 macrumors newbie

So how do you burn the .iso onto a DVD?

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Disk Utility. Insert the blank DVD, open Disk Utility, use it to mount the .iso file, select the .iso file, then press the Burn/Write button.

14. dextro macrumors newbie

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

Bump. Same issue but on an iMac without an internal DVD drive. rEFIt recognizes both the external DVD WIN7 or the Thumb drive Win7 but refuses to boot either of them, saying it can't reinitialize the USB device once you boot into legacy mode, and failing in EFI mode (EFI 2.0 Win7 vs. EFI 1.1 Mac)

HELP :)

16. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

Windows 7 x64 Lite / Tiny edition

anyone knows the best slimmed release that woks on MBP ?
    i've tried various versions from torrents, but they do not work properly.

the retail i got is x64 ultimate, and that's a bad call since the windows itself eat 25GB :eek:

i would like minimized version without the bloated SW that comes with it.