Help Me! Is this a broken pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christinew, Jun 17, 2010.

1. christinew macrumors newbie

I'm desperate for help on this one... I have had my MacBook Pro since November so it's still new. I take great care of it. Ths morning, I opened it up and noticed a small black line present under the screen. It has not been dropped, moved, beaten up, etc. It doesn't look like a broken pixel and all of the dead pixel fixers i have tried have not worked. Not sure what to do now... I live two hours away from the closest apple store and I cannot afford to send it out for fixing because I am an online student and need the computer daily. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

That's definitely not a dead pixel, shapes all wrong compared to the others. Looks more like something has gotten behind the glass.

3. christinew thread starter macrumors newbie

any suggestions? i don't see anywhere that it could have gotten under and it's almost smack dab in the middle of my screen.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Could be that it was some small bug that managed to get in there. Really don't know what to suggest to fix it, only way to know for sure would be to remove the glass which would finish your warranty. Do you live near an Apple store? Could book an appointment at a Genius bar if so.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

As runebinder has suggested, this could be a small insect. The best way to determine that would be to examine the display with a good magnifier. The photo is not sharp enough to tell, and the interaction with the pixels in the photo is creating artifacts which are distorting the shape. If the dark spot is made up of dots confined to inside the pixel frames, then defective pixels are probable.

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I guess is some insect behind the glass!!! Before I own the 13-inch MacBook Pro, I got some dust inside the glass... so it wouldn't surprise me!!!

PS: That's another reason why I'd go for antiglare screen

7. Xombie11 macrumors regular

Looks like some dust got under your screen. That's pretty common with the glossy displays.

8. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I'm sorry if Im being insultingly obvious, but have you tried wiping or even scraping it away? Or is it definitely under the screen.

9. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Definitely a bug. I know someone who got an ant behind their screen.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

IMHO, it looks like dust or an insect but not a dead pixel. Are you close to an Apple store? (I don't remember if you said or not) You could stop in there??

Let us know what happens!
    -P

11. christinew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys! It doesn't matter know, my macbook got stolen... I am still in mourning.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You know that looks very similar to what I had on my previous generation 17" mbp. At first I thought it was a dead/stuck pixel but later found out that it was actually a small dent/scratch. I found this out when I slowly used my finger nail to feel the surface and indeed it was caved in slightly.