Help me justify a Mac mini to my wife

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BigQid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. BigQid macrumors regular

I bought a Mac mini as an impulse purchase but my wife and I have an agreement that we discuss purchases over $200. I thought it would be good for backing up my phone at least. I bought one years ago as a media center that I returned to get a Tivo, but now we pretty much use apple TVs for everything. What else can I do with this so that my wife will let me keep it. I should note that we both have our own personal laptops, I have an iPad, apple TVs since we cut the cord.

2. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

If you are only using it to backup your phone, then it is a bit of waste of money,
    you can probably buy some long term iCloud storage for that, to backup your phone.

It could be your wife is a wise woman, you probably should return it if you don't really have a use for it, and if you have to watch your finances.
    but sometimes you both need an impulse buy, it's fun :)

3. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

You are probably right. I already have iCloud storage, but I was trying to see if there were any uses I hadn’t thought of.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Which model did you get? The base (cheapest) model is rather limited and showiing its age. There are still plenty of things it can do, but if you don't know what to do with it already then maybe you should return it before your wife finds out. :p

Seriously, if you think you need a desktop computer why not discuss the subject with your wife and see if you can both define how it would be used and what a reasonable budget would be?

5. MRrainer macrumors 65816

6. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

I got the top one with no upgrades. She knows about it, she just thinks its a waste of money. She actually didn't say anything at first. I told her I was trying it as a media center since we recently cut the cord, but we were fine with our apple TVs so thats not really a good enough reason to keep these.

7. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

So... you spent $1,000 on a Mac Mini?

And you don't think you even need it?

Maybe that's why you have to discuss purchases with your wife. ;)

8. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

That's probably a $1000,- you should have spent on your wife :D

9. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

10. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

And don't forget to buy your wife some Bvlgari parfume :)

[​IMG]