Help me Keep Leopard in my New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rocknpop, Dec 3, 2009.

1. rocknpop macrumors member

I am thinking of selling my MacBook and upgrading to a MacBook Pro, but I want to keep Leopard.

I know all sales now have Snow Leopard, so:
    1) Can I just make a copy of my current DVDs and install in the new MacBook Pro
    OR
    2) Do I have to buy it from <where?>?

(The reason why is because I am running ProTools and other Music software that is not yet compatible with Snow L.)

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Typically Macs can't run an older operating system than the one they ship with, particularly these days.

However, I could be wrong.

3. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

Really? I thought regardless of the architecture on could install any OS??? :confused:

4. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Any supported OS. If they don't make the required drivers and so-on available for older versions of OSX (and IIRC they don't) then it won't work. I mean goodness knows you could just try installing Leopard anyway and good luck to you if it works, but I really wouldn't expect it.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Any Mac that was released prior to Snow Leopard you could still install Leopard on, though it's possible you'd have to do some work to make it install (depending on whether the retail disk would recognize it as a compatible machine). Any new Mac that was released after Snow Leopard, chances are you won't be able to get Leopard installed on it without a lot of work, if that. Of course, if it's not any new hardware that would require drivers (they're still using the same video cards, etc, so it's likely ok), you might be able to get it to work.

Actually now that I think about it, one of the easiest ways to pull it off might be to install Leopard on an external drive from your current computer (assuming you're running a MacBook with the 9400M, otherwise it could be problematic), then when you get the new one, use Carbon Copy Cloner (or Disk Utility) to just copy the entire contents of the external drive, system and all, to the new computer. No guarantee that it will work (I've seen systems just continually reboot after trying similar things, because of missing drivers or misconfigured settings or something), but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, you might have to get an older model MacBook Pro or plan on waiting until ProTools is updated (could be a while, if history means anything).

jW

6. pkagel macrumors regular

Buying a refurb MBP from Apple might fit your needs. The MBA I just bought came with L installed and SL on a disk in the box. It's worth a shot I think and you'll save money to boot.

7. Boesky macrumors 6502

8. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

What part, and why not? The OP talked about buying Leopard if need be.