Help me keep this thing running

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by scottreitz, Mar 18, 2013.

1. scottreitz macrumors newbie

I can't believe I almost bought a new computer. I'd love to keep this thing running forever.

I'm currently running 10.5.8. (ouch) on a 2006 macbook.

2ghz, upgraded to 2GB RAM with a 250 SSD.

Do I buy Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and go from there? I saw some people saying they were running with the Lion but....

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Sweet,

If this is the first generation macbook (1,1), then you're limited to 2 GB RAM, If it's the late2006 (2,1) variant, you can go for 4 GB. In the later case, you might want to have one eye on activity monitor, to see if you'd get any benefit.

About the OS's, there are two basic philosophies: One focuses on the "If it works, don't fix it" -maxim, the other basically focuses on going for the improvements.
    Personally I do not think there's anything massively wrong with Leopard - I ran Leopard as the only OS on an Alu Macbook for as long as I had it, so if you're no inclined towards the "newest and greatest" and your OS runs nicely, I'd let it be.

If you want the newer OS's (SL, Lion), the choice depends on what you want it for (e.g. AppStore ->SL; iCloud ->Lion).

RGDS,