Help me limit my websurfing and timewasting?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedTomato, Jun 18, 2008.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hello,

I have a lot of stuff to do, and I'm easily distracted. Like many people here, I spend too much time websurfing (or reading MacRumours!) when I should be working.

I'm looking for a simple app that with a single click will cut off outside access for firefox (and maybe certain other apps) for maybe an hour (user definable)

I'd rather not disable firefox itself (I use it for testing web-building, and also for the Remember The Milk todo app) and I don't want to just unplug the internet (I need emails, ftp, etc to still get through.

I know there's this strange thing called willpower (!) but mine needs all the help it can get to stay focussed on the job in hand, not wander off websurfing.

I've fiddled with OSX parental controls, but they're not up to it, and tried out Little Snitch, but it can't impose a time-limited block.

Advice?

2. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Lovely little app, and thanks for the notification. I've just installed it before I get distracted :eek:

Is there a way of imposing a selective internet block i.e. on Firefox and Safari only?

I've just had a look for a Firefox extension that can put a time-limited block on all external Firefox connections, (and one too for Safari would be nice) but I can't find one.

If I knew anything at all about programming it might be possible to work up a little command-line app that blocks port 80 for a user-defined period, and that can't be stopped or quit without a reboot (same as the Freedom app).