Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Am I losing weight too fast?

Here's my log over the last week and a half (morning weigh in after waking up):

6/2: 70.7 kg/155.86 lbs
6/3: 69.5
6/4: 69.0
6/5: ??
6/6: ??
6/7: 68.5
6/8: 67.6
6/9: 67.6
6/10: 67.4
6/11: 66.8/147.26 lbs

I realize weight drops quite a bit faster at the beginning because you are losing water weight, but I was under the impression water weight only accounted for the first 3-5 pounds, and dropped within the first few days. I thought from 6/8-6/10 given the little loss that I had shed the water weight and was now starting to slowly lose fat at the usual rate of 2-3 lbs/wk, but then this morning bam--dropping quick again.

Is it possible I'm still dropping water weight after over a week?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I dropped another pound yesterday. Down eight now from the beginning of the month :) And this with only 15-20 minutes of working out a day (lunch break) + diet reductions. I need to get a better exercise routine.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Am I losing weight too fast?

Here's my log over the last week and a half (morning weigh in after waking up):

6/2: 70.7 kg/155.86 lbs
6/3: 69.5
6/4: 69.0
6/5: ??
6/6: ??
6/7: 68.5
6/8: 67.6
6/9: 67.6
6/10: 67.4
6/11: 66.8/147.26 lbs

I realize weight drops quite a bit faster at the beginning because you are losing water weight, but I was under the impression water weight only accounted for the first 3-5 pounds, and dropped within the first few days. I thought from 6/8-6/10 given the little loss that I had shed the water weight and was now starting to slowly lose fat at the usual rate of 2-3 lbs/wk, but then this morning bam--dropping quick again.

Is it possible I'm still dropping water weight after over a week?

Yes you might still be dropping water weight, and dropping 5 poundsish isn't unhealthy. As long as you are not feeling faint or anything, if you do up your caloric intake. You know the drill, your doing well. Nice job!
On a side note, I ran my first race this morning since losing 80lbs! First ever athletic competition too. I am shooting for a medal next year but I am pleased with this first attempt. I have a half marathon and a marathon coming up this summer too.

Attachments

• SDC10989.jpg
    SDC10989.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 44

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Nice! I feel like a half marathon is still at least a year away for me.

I decided it was long past the expiration date of my running shoes, so I got some new ones this weekend--Nike Zoom Air Speedlite ST + 2 (Nike+ ipod as well). 230g (8.1 oz) racing shoes. I was a little apprehensive given they have a lot less cushioning than a regular pair of running shoes, but they were really comfortable in store and felt so much lighter and trim than the now-seemingly bulky 340g running shoes. And being Nikes, and red and white, what I wanted, I couldn't resist and had to pick them up. Even rang up for $20 less than sticker at the register so it was a win all around. Just took them for a 10k initial jog, no pain, no break-in heel bleeding or anything. Very happy!

4699456174_6fa071c55d_b.jpg

*i dont mean to hijack this thread but i think it's good to use as a log/fitness discussion for anyone/everyone

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I feel terribly guilty today- I had quite a bit of company last night, and ended up making chilli cheese fries and flan :( I feel like a smoker who gave in to the urge. Plus I got a little under six hours of sleep. Guess I'll have to take a nap after work then go on a long jog today...

Anyway, here's the kind of diet I've fallen into a routine of during the work week. I brought in two hardboiled eggs, an avocado an orange, a banana, and a green pepper, and I keep pecans in my desk if I need to snack at any point.

*i dont mean to hijack this thread but i think it's good to use as a log/fitness discussion for anyone/everyone

Oh not at all, I think people sharing their logs would be inspiring :)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Had two eggs and an avocado for breakfast today (despite what it sounds like, I haven't had eggs in almost a week at this point haha), and have some salmon and a banana for later. I took a ten mile bikeride yesterday as well :eek:

Sorry to bump the thread, but it's actually kind of exciting for me. These kinds of lifestyle changes are things I've put off for years due to perceived difficulty/inconvenience, and I feel really good about it. :eek:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
63.9 kg this morning, what do you guys think of supplementing with protein?

Safe? Healthy? Side effects?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I hit 207 pounds :D Started going on an very-low-carb diet on Monday, and am dropping even faster.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I haven't read all the responses here, but in addition to what you seem to be doing make sure you read what's in the food you're eating. Without getting into the high fructose corn syrup debate, it is one of those ubiquitous ingredients. If the industry is even close to right and it should be consumed in moderation, make sure you are consuming it in moderation. Same for salt and a bunch of other additives.

Also, in your first post you mentioned rice. Rice is ok if it's not long grain (i.e. American rice, basmati rice) and is best if it's short grain brown. As you probably know since you are reducing carbs, rice is full of them.

Another thing is as a guy, make sure you get enough protein!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Absolute crap. Those are rules written down by one person. There are a million and one ways to drop weight.

The very very simple rule is this.

Do more.

Eat less.

That's it.

There's only 1 rule to losing weight. 1 simple rule. You almost stated it.

Losing weight (or gaining weight) is a result of caloric intake vs caloric expenditure. Carbs, Fat, Sugar, mean nothing in the weight loss balance and are all marketing gimmicks. Low carb diets don't mean you will lose weight if you compensate the carbs with sugars or fats. Same for low fat or low sugar diets.

Eat less calories than you spend. That's the only rule to weight loss. Ultimately, all those pre fabricated diets are based on this, they just try to hide it behind gimmicks like "1 Shake in the morning, 1 shake at noon and a balanced diner".

You also have to be very careful of "healthy" foods. Low fat cookies! Check the calories. Low fat doesn't mean low calories. So what if they're low fat if they have the same calories as the normal fat ones ? You won't lose weight by eating those.

Balance your diet to what you should be eating and then count your calories until you reach your desired weight. Account for your base metabolism (any gym with proper equipment can give you this) and any physical activity you might do and adjust from there. Males should never eat under 1500 calories per day, 1200 for females.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.