help me: macbook pro + ipad??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shyam09, Oct 31, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hey guys can you help me out with a problem im having..
    so today my dad announced that he was going to be getting a macbook pro for me and my sis (his friend says that we might be able to get discount or something)

when i asked him when he needed the info. he told me by christmas. So i was like what about Jan or feb.. and my mom was like don't argue, and my dad was like "Look, im paying for it this time, so either get it or dont, your choice"

so im thinking about getting it but one question (if anyone knows this)

does apple give better deals on black Friday or Christmas?

Im thinking about buying a Macbook Pro with SSD and all. and also if i can get a good enough discount on the ipad, should i go for that too, or not? like i said my dad will pay for the pro, and im not too sure about the ipad…

anyone please help me decide.. realy really confused.

EDIT: one more thing i forgot.. or should iget the itouch instead? im really confused XD

EDIT (sry for double edit. one more thing. about the ipad, im sorta getting it so my mom can use it too. she isnt very technological i guess, so i figure she can check her email and look at pics on the ipad itself.. and im thinking about being a medical student too so i can get the "tablet version of things rather then pay so much money? and im sure that my parents will be using either of my computer (cuz i generally share with them).. so ..

EDIT (3): another thing popped in- last one i promise.. i also can do work from the ipad. my second job requires me to monitor facebook, twitter, and all. so just a thing to put in…

*if i get a good enough deal i might buy the ipad myself with my own cash... idk right now

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

how old are you? What do you see yourself doing with a computer? This will help us to asses and advise.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

personally i highly doubt apple ever gives deals.

that being said tell your parents to use the EDU store OR the employee store.

saves you 100$$

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

thanks.
    umm im only 17 years old.. but im going to a uni next year

my goal is to become a pharmacist so i sorta want tow note taking devices. a notebook for keyboard notes (things i cant diagram and all) and then the ipad for textbooks (i think they are fairly cheap and all) and also to take scientific notes.. like if my professor is drawing the molecule for a hydrocarbon, i cant really copy that down can i? so that was what i was thinking...

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Education discount can save up to $200 on the top 15"model or 17 "
    Great computers. The iPad would probably be pretty useful for class.

6. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

aimbdd thats what i was thinking because of textbook costs etc. too and less load to carry around for me and all..

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

OT, but....

Sweet life, from what you've shared. ;)

8. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

thanks...im really confused though whether i get it or not.. what i learned i can save a lot of money just from textbooks and all

9. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I don't see how either a macbook (pro) or iPad will help you avoid having to buy textbooks.

My advice (if you can choose) is a base macbook of whatever size you prefer. Since you will be using it at school, the 17" is probably too big. If you can deal with the 15" I recommend that with the high-res upgrade. Get SSD and RAM yourself aftermarket as the apple prices for those upgrades are unreasonable.

An iPad is an entertainment device. I don't see much use for a student. I guess you could use it to take notes on (with a capacitive pen), but I see it as more of a distraction than a help.

Sometimes apple offers an iPod touch for free with purchase of a mac. This and the educational discount are pretty much your only chance at a discount, short of buying a used one.

10. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

oh im not planning to get book for free.. haha thats impossible lol.. but what i read is it is somewhat cheaper then the actual book... its not like im not going to but hte hard copy of the book.. but what im saying is when i can buy the book at a cheaper price on the ipad i will.. so basically im going for the cheaper one.. and keep in mind that this is for my whole family use, not just me alone (although it is somewhat mine lol)