Help me make sense of My Photostream.

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by sk3pt1c, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

So, here's what i think i know about it, correct me if i'm wrong.

- I turn on My Photostream.
    - From then on, any picture i take gets sent (when on wifi) in its hi-res glory to iCloud and then to my Mac.
    - My Photostream contains a rolling 1000 photos (and no videos) that i take, the older ones getting deleted.

So, questions:

- After i take the photo and it gets sent to iCloud, do i still have the hi-res version anywhere on my phone? Camera roll? photostream album? Does one have the hi-res and the other the optimised?
    - How and when are photos deleted exactly? If i don't open iPhoto for some time to pull the new pics, do they get lost?

I don't know why, but this is confusing to me :confused:.
    Turned it on today to test it out because there's not much space left on my phone so i thought automatic lower res pics with the hi res on my mac instantly sounds like a good deal but i'm confused about the logistics.

I'm sure I'll have more questions with each reply :)

Thanks!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The hi-res photo is in your camera roll. You can manually sync this at any point in time.

iCloud is a convenience thing for sharing NOT a backup tool

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

I get that it's not a backup tool per se, but it's a cool way for me to have a backup of my photos on iPhoto, since they sync.

So the hi-res remains in my camera roll, an optimized version is in my photostream album and a hi-res is sent to icloud to sync to my mac?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly I've never looked at the resolution in iPhoto but given how fast it syncs over I wouldn't think there full resolution.