Help me make sure this hard drive will be compatible with a friend's macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by organic io, Nov 19, 2014.

1. organic io macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a friend who has a Macbook pro 2012 non retina with a bad hard drive. We are looking to replace the hard drive, but want to make sure the replacement would be compatible before he makes the purchase.

I was looking on Pricewatch and found this drive
    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...pGg/MlsI1mCFc0tyn1iKw0bmNhSUqR7s4NPa69bo+uICg

Which is 2.5" SATA 3. I read that SATA 3 is backwards compatible with SATA 2. Since this is a 2.5" drive I don't see why it wouldn't work with this Macbook. But I just wanted to double check here to make sure there aren't any unexpected kinks that I'm not aware of. I'm much more of a PC person, though I did own a Macbook of my own for about a year.

Thanks for your help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Any 2.5" SATA drive under 12.5mm thick will fit. It's a regular old PC under all that pretty aluminum.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Agree with post directly above.

Just get the Crucial SSD, and "do the swap". It's a remarkably easy procedure.

Precaution:
    I would suggest that you and your friend thoroughly "prep and test" the new drive BEFORE you swap it in. You can use either a 2.5" drive enclosure, but a USB3/SATA dock works just as well.

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

All of the above. Plus do you know how you will load the OS on to the new drive?

5. organic io thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah he has the OSX install disc. So it should be a pretty straightforward process. Thanks for all the help everyone!