Help me make up my mind

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britney69, Mar 17, 2008.

1. britney69 macrumors newbie

Hi guys! Great forum you guys have here. Just got my base pro the other week, now first time Mac user and I'm loving it!

Got one issue though... my screen has the yellow tinting on the bottom third of my screen. AFAIK, everything else is in perfect condition.

I am still within my first 14 days. Should I exchange for another one in hopes of getting "the perfect one" or do I still have just as good as a chance of exchanging it for a different issue (pixel issue, another yellow tinted screen).

Because of this forum, I will always in the back of my mind know that I have the yellow issue. It really is barely there after all and can only notice on a white background. Considering I'd be going back to the Apple Store to exchange, would I just not get another dud from the same Macbook Pro batch?

Help me decide!

Thanks!

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

If it doesn't effect you and you don't notice it when using it, I'd keep it.

But if its a constant annoyance and has an impact on the enjoyment of your product and the way you use it, get them to correct their mistake.

My opinion anyway :)

I will be getting mine some point this week and may have to face the same decision... put up with any defects, or wait another 3/4 weeks for the computer I need?

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i have done a lot of exchanges since feb 26. i stopped last friday.
    it's not worth the trouble of paying your local apple store a visit every other day!
    or the missery of shipping back the MBP and waiting for the replacement which takes YEARS!!! ( 8-9 days in thereal world)

i still have some yellowing on the bottom.
    but aside from that everything is ok.
    i don't want to get a dead pixel/ noisy fan, problematic Hard drive etc.

4. McGiord, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

This yellowish issue is with the matte or glossy screens?
    ________
    AZ engine

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what to recommend. Out of principle, I'd get a replacement since I think it sends a message to Apple to get their act together with quality control and stop forcing customers to deal with these issues. Also, once you've see a problem, you really can't not see it and it becomes annoying. If you feel annoyed, I'd also recommend getting a replacement.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee that a replacement will fix the issue and, if you're unlucky, you might have another issue to deal with!

I'm kind of in a similar situation with my MBP. I'm very particular about displays and find it annoying that mine is not better than it is given how expensive the machine is. Here's what mine looks like - what do you guys think, should I have it replaced? ha ha ha...this is all SO much fun!

The dark picture is what it looks like when I'm watching DVDs and there's a dark screen or in between scenes .The lighter one is just the alternating shadows at the bottom, which I guess a lot of people have?!

Attached Files:

6. a4abt macrumors regular

I would return it. When I bought my MBP in December, they gave me a matte screen and it was scratched. I returned it immediately and told them I asked for a glossy model. If the screen had a yellow tint issue, I'd return it ASAP as well. For the price the MBP goes, it needs to be in perfect condition.

Enjoy your new MBP

7. britney69 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's funny that one would settle for a defect (as slight as it is) after trying several replacements, but it has everything to do with the fact that you don't want other problems to arise. I may just end up being ok with this and keep the one I have.

Bottom line is, I'm a first time mac user. Everything seems perfect (aside from yellowing) but I don't know whether or not it actually is (after discovering the system more...) I still have around 5-6 days before my 14 days is up.

Maybe I can check the replacement (at the Apple Store) for a good 10-15 mins before I accept it? Wouldn't that be a viable option?

8. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, you can definitely inspect it before you accept the new one, but sometimes it's hard to see/hear things in the bright and noisy apple store. Also, there is an element of stress that makes it hard to reject another computer - just like people seldom send back wines at restaurants. I think they key here is how much it bothers you? If you think about it every time you use your computer, I'd get it replaced and make sure that you take the time you need to properly inspect the new machine any way needed to ensure that you get a good one.

9. britney69 thread starter macrumors newbie

***Update***
    Got it replaced. First, the guy didn't noticed it, I later showed him the downloaded gif and exchanged for a new one. I checked the replacement at the store. Lemme tell you, it's really hard to see it as the apple store I was at is very well lit, but alas, I got a MBP with a perfect screen.

Noticed the difference in display models...

Yellow : 9C83
    Good Screen : 9C81

PS. Both models are glossy.

10. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Is the yellow very obvious/annoying to you? If so then by all means take it back, but theres a pretty good chance youll get another with the yellow and it may be a more obvious or less obvious yellow. My first MBP had the yellow and i took it back, my 2nd didnt have yellow but it had a very annoying speaker buzz noise which i hated so much more than the yellow so i took it back. I just recieved my BTO MPB yesterday and it also has a slight white-yellow at the bottom. Im just going to keep it because even though i slightly notice it, its not such a big deal to me anymore because this whole yellow problem isnt rare, its actually kind of common. 2/3 of my MBP's had this problem and frankly IMO i think its basically a toss up whether or not you get a non yellow display or a yellow one. If it doesnt bother you much then you should keep it because you may get on with dead pixels or the speaker buzzes which is definetly more annoying but its all up to you. All im trying to say is this problem is not in the least sense rare, so there may be a pretty decent chance youll get another with the same problem or worse so its all up to you. GL with your decision.

whoops didnt see your update lol, disgregard the post then.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man get that replaced, even before you asked the question should I get it replaced, once I was scrolling down and saw those pictures my first thought was wtf he needs to get that replaced.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

both, seems to be limited to MOSTLY samsung displays though

13. lazydesi macrumors 6502

Apple main motto is to satisfy every customer

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I prefer the samsung, I've been through it all, in the end I rather take the barely noticable yellowness on the bottom (just not as cream white to the top) but the samsung looks that much more vivid in colors and eye candy than the lg (mostly all white all around with no yellowness) but washed out/faded/fake looking colors. Yes I've been through 10, 10 mbp SR models in the end I kept looking for that samsung screen but ended up with 4 lg's and few chimei and in the end kept the 9c66 AUO (best screen all white around with no yellowness and vivid clear colors).

15. McGiord, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Thanks for sharing this, but what are those codes? First digits of the Serial number?
    ________
    buy herbalaire

16. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Just letting you know, I have the 9C81 also, and it is PERFECT.