help me making timelapse video on iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mtbdudex, Oct 15, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I'd like to make timelapse videos from my Canon T1i images.
    I shoot RAW, use Aperture 3.

I have about 1,000 images from big storm and also 70-80 from July 4th fireworks. The storm I'd like so speed up the action, so 10-12 frames/second, while the July 4th 1 frame/ per second or even 1 frame every 2 seconds might be better.

Since I have VMWare 3, I've used free WinTel application "Startrails" to make videos, but I'd like to stay on the Mac side.

What free apps can do this? I have iLife 09.

Startrails is cool, I can specify the fps, it only works on jpg/tiff/bmp, so I export from RAW to jpg.

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html

2. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Use Quicktime (not sure if you need Pro or not)

Under the file menu there is an option for "Open Image Sequence"

Select the first image of your sequence and click OK.

It will ask your frame rate. When you hit OK it will create it all for you there. The resolution might be HUGE though if you're shooting with a T1i so export a quicktime video with the resolution and settings you want.

3. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I have the pro liscense from a while back, I'll try what you outlined this weekend, thx a lot!

lots of people have done this, guess I should have asked earlier instead of doing it on the dark side.
    http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-time-lapse-video-with-your-dslr

4. De Rocca macrumors member

Time Lapse

What about Imovie ?

Import the sequence of pictures, and give it a very small duration for each photo, or just copy the images (and handle them as movie frames), to get the desired frame rate...

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Quicktime is a MUCH quicker way.

6. C. Alan macrumors 6502

This sounds like a cool project. I hope you post the results when you are done. I would think that for internet quality video, you could use JPGs.