Help me manage my devices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isephmusic, Dec 27, 2012.

1. isephmusic macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2012
    Hello this is my first year owning apple products. Never even owned an iPod. i made the big jump because i was sick and tired of DJ'ing on windows. i produce dance tracks and edit flyers in photoshop. so as a college student i now own the following devices

classic macbook pro 15inch latest model
    iphone 5
    self build windows desktop ( i7, 8gig ram, HD6960)

and sold my android tablet ( was the transformer inifnity which was trying to act as a replacement laptop)

the tablet was great until it got really buggy. now im looking for an ipad as a portable device thats a workhorse. im REALLY torn between an ipad mini with retina display next year or a thinner lighter iPad 5. i want it to be able to keep up in the notes department, graphic intensive apps and not have to lug around. im not sure if i can justify having all these devices. the desktop just sits there ever since i got my macbook. but i hate carrying my macbook to college because the 15 inch non retina is heavy ! im managing but i feel an iPad would do the job there. at home ipads have very good apps to make music or check notes. but i have a dual monitor setup . im just trying to see where i can shift my workflow and what i need to sell.

maybe if i got rid of the windows desktop, sold the macbook and upgraded to a retina i could potentially just have a light retina macbook as my " desktop" thats also portable hooked up to 2 monitors, able to be taken with me to trips. and then add the new iPad when it comes out. so instead of 4+ devices ill have just 3. what do you guys think ? thanks
  2. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2010
    I have a first generation iPad and use it for class all the time. The case I have doubles as a stand, and I use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard, and take notes. I also get as many textbooks as I can on the iPad, so I don't have to lug those around. I often bring my laptop with me, but rarely take it out of my bag. I just don't like being without it, better to have and not need than need and not have right?
  3. isephmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2012
    what kind of laptop is it and what kind of things would you need it for that your ipad would not be able to do ?
  4. biggd macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2008
    Sell desktop
    Buy thunderbolt external drive for track backups
    Use laptop as "center" of ur "experience"
    I use a iPad to take notes on in class and then read textbooks/slides/online course stuff on. I carry an iPad while others carry books. Gives instant access to all data + wiki + youtube