Help me manipulate the sysetm!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captainobvvious, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Captainobvvious, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

HELP ME UPGRADE SWAP!

I ordered an iPhone on my family plan and since i wasn't upgrade eligible it cost me $450.

Now I am being told I can upgrade swap with someone else on my family plan who IS eligible... Namely my father in law.

If I could do it over again I would have ordered it on his line and swapped it when I got it in but I didn't, I ordered it from Apple.com on MY line and paid the $450.

What can I do at this point to put this back on track and use his upgrade and get my money back?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Try contacting your carrier for the adjustment after you receive them
    See if they can sort it for you

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Call your carrier and ask. No manipulation required.

4. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

I just wonder how this would be handled since i paid Apple $450 already.

I also wonder if they would if I ordered it under his number which uses a dumb phone if they would let him drop his data plan easily and go back to the dumb phone.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

You could grab your FIL and go stand in line Friday morning, get a phone on his upgrade, then return one of yours. Otherwise order one via Apple on his upgrade and return one of yours. I think Apple is stating ships in 1-2 weeks right now.

6. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

this isn't a manipulation.

its an existing process that is allowed by at&t. you are just using another line's upgrade.

i think its called cross upgrade or something like that. I did it last year to get my i4.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

so much for thinking ahead:eek:

8. Solange82200 macrumors regular

His situation is a bit different, since he already ordered his phone on another line for more money. He doesnt want to cancel his order on the line he has now, and have to order again on the other line and wait forever to get the new phone.

I guess call and see if they can just refund the difference and transfer the contract to your other line. Im not sure if they will, but its worth a shot.

9. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

That cross upgrade thing has piqued my interest but it seems that the line that actually upgrades (my father in law's) would then be forced into a data plan. He has a dumb phone now so he doesn't have one.

Do you think they would give me trouble for upgrading then immediately canceling the data plan and moving him back to a dumb phone?

10. bellaisa macrumors regular

yes, u can cancel the data, just call ATT and let them know you're doing an upgrade swap. that's what im doing. then sell 1 of the new iPhone 4S on craigslist to make a profit.

11. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

I just called them and they said it wasn't something they could do...

Is this upgrade swap just upgrading his line, having the phone activated with his number then just switching SIM cards?

I am thinking it might be feasible to bring my iPhone to the Apple store on Saturday or Sunday, return the phone with the guy knowing I want to buy it right back under a different account holder (Father in law)

I just don't know what to do since I already ordered it.

----------

Ok let me summarize where I am at.

I think the guy I talked to was dumb and I can do an upgrade swap.

Normally I would order the phone under the upgrade eligible plan and swap them later... Instead I have ordered on the ineligible upgrade plan and want to MOVE the order to the upgrade eligible line.

If I had ordered from AT&T I think that would be a non issue but since I ordered this through the Apple Store what options do I have at this point to get the difference in money back?

12. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

I updated the original post to clarify my question.