Help me, my fellow Canadians!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haiggy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey - question here for my Canadian buddies,

I'm planning on picking up the soon to be released iPhone (4G/HD/Whatever) and this will be my first iPhone. I'd like to get it the day it is released but I'm wondering - HOW do I do this?

Do I have to go to an actual Apple Store in say, Toronto? (I'm in Waterloo) or do you think some wireless carriers would have the phone available? Like a Rogers/Fido store or Bell store?

Keep in mind I don't have a cell plan with any of these carriers yet so I would have to set up an account. I know in the US you can activate your iPhone in the Apple Store but can you do that in Canada and activate it for any carrier you choose?

My plan was to go with Fido and get no data plan and pay the $200 penalty for not getting data and picking up the phone for say $199 on a 3 year contract. Can I do this at an Apple Store? Or do I have to go to a Rogers/Fido store? Think they'd have them in stock on launch day? Have they in the past?

What about online?

Thanks guys :cool:

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I live in Alberta and the nearest apple store is 1.5 hours away. I walked into a Rogers store last year and signed up for a 3GS as a brand new account. Will be giving that to a family member this month and getting myself the new iPhone. Stock will depend on how well apple can manage it, Apple stores might have more while the retail stores (Rogers/bell) might not have as much stock. You can't just buy it from Apple store and activate from any carrier you want unless you pay FULL price for the phone (600+) and unlock it to be used with any carrier. You sign the 3 year agreement when you buy the phone so it only costs $199. Have also phoned Rogers and signed up for a phone which they send to you by UPS/Purolator, really no difference between that and going into a store.

3. candan9019 macrumors regular

If you don't plan on getting a data plan then it might be a good idea to go to a Fido store just in case there is an issue plus you won't have to drive as far.

Last year the Fido store in Newmarket where I went had at least 20 on launch day so it's a good bet Waterloo would be similar. It's a good idea to call the day before, they won't tell you how many they have but they will give you an idea.

4. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds good, thanks! - anybody else have any other advice?

I guess I could call different Fido stores to see if they will be carrying it. Do you think the phone will be available to buy the same day as the keynote or like on the Friday? I'd need a day in advance to know when to call :p

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I picked up my iPhone 3G the first day it was available in Canada from a small neighbourhood Rogers store. (Rogers was a "launch partner".) It was great, there were no lineups and the store had all the different colour/memory combinations available. Apple Stores on the other hand had tremendous lineups and apparently sold out of popular models early. I expect I'll be doing the same thing at my nearby Rogers retail store in a few weeks when the iPhone HD (or whatever) launches. :apple:

6. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I just ordered mine on the phone from Rogers when it was out of stock. They said it would take 2 weeks to arrive, but it actually took only a few days!

7. LastZion macrumors 6502a

Do we know for sure that we can get the iphone in Canada right away?
    Or are we going to have to wait 3 months?

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I don't live in Canada but I can tell you that in the past, wireless carrier retail stores have not received a very big stock of iPhones on launch day, so get there really early! :)

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Not to burst your bubble but I don't think Rogers or Fido allow you to get the iPhone anymore without data. There is no more $200 penalty. Either voice+data or pay $699/$799 for the phone.

That rule would have extended to the Apple Store too seeing as Rogers makes the decisions as the carrier, not Apple.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

we never had to wait 3 months... the 3G/3GS were launched on the same day across north america... i don't see how it would be any different this year.