Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
I sold my macbook pro 2.2ghz (still in my possession) and am trying to get my photos and stuff off of it before i restore it. I have connected it to an external monitor before with success (the computer works perfectly minus the broken screen) but for some reason i can't get it to hook up again. I know it's due to my incompetence that I can't get it to connect so some help/ tips would be appreciated.

Should I already have the monitor plugged in before i turn the computer or plug it in after it's on?

Is the f7 button the button to push to switch which monitor is being used?

I just can't figure it out since the screen is broken. Thanks

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
When you connect your Mac to the external monitor, does nothing happen at all? You should at least get some background image on the screen. If nothing comes up whatsoever, there's something wrong.

Restart your Mac. Try reconnecting the cable to the computer and to the monitor. Make sure the monitor is on the right input. Try a different cable or a different monitor.

If all those options fail, something else would be wrong with your computer.

DontMacTheGyver

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2010
I always close my MB (external monitor connected) after pushing the power button...
--> External monitor is now the primary monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.