help me out, declining phone reception...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coachingguy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Hey all, I've searched the forums for this, but haven't found anything similar.

I've had my 16 gig 2G iPhone since last Feb. It's been the best piece of technology I've ever used. However, in the last two months, my reception for the phone has steadily decreased. Places where my reception was maxed out is now 2 bars. Places where reception was 1 or two bars or spotty, now is nill. I'm dropping calls when up until two months ago I'd dropped none.

I treat my phone with tremendous care and it has not been dropped or hit beyond normal wear and tear.

I've called ATT and they've sent this "signal to boost your reception" which I didn't see making any difference. It get worse by the week. I turn off and reset my phone some days up to 4 times. Last week out of frustration, I did a factory reset and started from scratch.

I called ATT last night and they recommended bringing my phone to an Apple Store.

My issue is, if I have to get a new phone, I can't make use of the 3G network in Northern Minnesota and don't want to have to pay for what I can't use... If they replace my phone, is there any way they'd replace it with a 2G? Does the assembled think it is the phone or the network.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks in advance

Coachingguy

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If you called at&t and spoken to the tech department, they would have told you about any network troubles in your area. I'm assuming that they didn't know of any problems.

If you take it to the Apple store and it needs replacement, they will replace it with a 2G. I think that's your best bet.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Apple will probably check the SIM card to see if it went bad, then do a few diagnostics tests on it, then if all that fails to remedy your situation they'll go to the back and get you a replacement v1 iPhone. I took one of my students to the Apple Store for a software glitch issue in September and they gave her a replacement in about 10-15 minutes. She also had the 16GB iPhone; and they asked her if she wanted to upgrade to a new 3G, but she declined...

4. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I hope thats how it works for me. I'll be hitting one of the Apple Stores in the Twin Cities over Thanksgiving.

As far btbroussard's reply, yea, ATT checked my network and found no reason for the change in reception.

Thanks

Coachingguy

5. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Will do.

Coachingguy