Help me out of my calendar syncing nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by annk, Oct 11, 2012.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My goal:

To sync my Outlook for Mac 2011 calendar with my Google Calendar.

My reason:

I have to use the Outlook calendar (it's our work calendar), but I don't have easy access to it off-site, and I use Google cal to run the rest of my life. They have to be connected somehow.

I've tried SyncMate, which is supposed to let me sync the two, both ways, via iCal. It mostly seems to work (though going through iCal is messy IMO), but occasionally a work event in Outlook won't appear in my GC, and occasionally an event I put in my GC won't appear in Outlook. I haven't been able to find a pattern as to why. I can't have a 90% solution, I've already missed a couple meetings because of this. :(

No matter what I do, I get some things syncing and some not, and double and triple events. It didn't even help to nuke all my GCs except for my main one (I thought delegates could be causing a problem).

Using iCal as my main calendar isn't an option for me. I have an Android phone I'm really happy with, and I need to be able to view and edit my (hopefully combined and synced) calendars there.

Does anyone have a system that works? I'll be more than happy to answer any questions about my set up.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm currently doing a similar thing. I sync my Outlook work calendar (on Windows 7) to my Google Calendar and then to iCal via my Apple ID account which is Gmail.

I use Google Sync on my Windows PC to grab my Outlook calendar data and sync it to my Google Calendar. It seems to be working well as I've been doing this for a few months now.

I don't know if they have a Mac version or not, but here is the link to Google Sync.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

They don't have a Mac version, unfortunately. I used to use that, and it worked well. But then I convinced the IT guys at work to let me have a Mac as my work machine, and I lost that possibility. :(

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Calendar syncing is always so much trouble, even on one company's own ecosystem. I'll poke around and see if I come up with anything.

5. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

A couple of things:
    Get Syncmate off of your computer. That program can make a total hash of your calendars.

If your office uses Exchange, you should be able to sync with Android. Sometimes the setup is unclear - they call it "corporate," rather than Exchange on some phones.

There is no good way to sync Exchange and GC. In fact, there are several known bugs in syncing the two. BusyCal 1.6.4 (not 2!) can read an Exchange calendar set up in Calendar (or iCal) and you can publish that to GC safely.