Help me out with buying

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eXoBrute, Jan 5, 2009.

1. eXoBrute macrumors regular

Alright i just want to get this all clear and know exactly what i want and need. Im a 15 year old boy (will be 16 in a few months) i have been with a dell dimension 2400 since i was 11. I have added 2GB RAM and some new speakers etc but this computer is just outdated and super slow. I have asked my parents how much they will spend on my 16th birthday and they said about $1400. So i really want to buy a apple computer. But i dont know which. I have been use to having a desktop in my room but i think i would like the mobility of a laptop. Im in an I.T. Class and plan on going to a I.T based college and even pursuing my career in that. I have never had a mac but ive heard way better things about them other then price (lil more exspencive then windows). So i know i want a mac. I already have photoshop CS4 but i also want to get into making videos and stuff as i like showing off my unboxings of some stuff i buy (i go through alot of cell phones). So what i'm asking is what should i get? Im open to desktops or laptops. I know theres only like 3 choices with apple but which one should i pick? i dont do many memory requirement programs other then a few games and photoshop and i like to have alot of stuff open. So please help. Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you plan on doing graphics and video in college, the next chipset/CPU tower purchased might barely get you by for college.

The Macbooks and the iMac will be a repurchase right before college or after the first year.

Nature of the progression of the software where in 4 years 4 cores will likely be a minimum spec for quite a few Pro apps.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

If you are planning to go to an I.T College you probably need an MBP. An MB is basically for light video editing, the MB could handle PS CS4 (but recommending an upgrade to ram to run it much more smoothly)...and the MB isn't build for intensive video editing or programming, it's basically made for people/students who wishes to use their MB as for work for school or surfing online and other light stuff. The new MBP now cost more than $1400 but you can get the refurb. of the previous generation MBP for around that price...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think you can expect to be upgrading/replacing before college. I suggest you buy an iMac now and then a MacBook Pro when you get to college. The iMac usually has roughly the same specs as the MacBook Pro, but for 2/3 the price. When you get to college, your MacBook Pro will be faster but you can sell the iMac if you don't want it. I like the flexibility of having both desktop and laptop, though.

Conversely, there's something to be said for having an old laptop that you don't have to worry about being stolen and a smashin' new desktop back home chained to your desk.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The new Mac Mini that is about to be announced.

Cheers.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not sure integrated graphics is really the way to go... :rolleyes:

7. betaboy78 macrumors regular

betaboy78

If cost is the main issue, I would go with the iMac as you will get more bang for your buck.

But if you can swing $2K, a MacBook Pro will make you VERY happy for a long time. :D

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I feel for you a bit because really for your needs you need the Macbook Pro with a decicated graphics card, and since your quite young you may want to play games too, however its also frustratingly rather expensive.

9. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for ur help i think i plan on getting a macbook pro. I will pay the extra $300. Thanks again