Help me out

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rhythmac, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I have a MBP and an iPod Touch.....I want an iPad 3. My kids insist I don't need the iPad....(and I guess they're right, I do not need it). but....

Give me some good arguments to appease them....or if you think they are right, convince me!

2. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I say, if you want the ipad 3, and have the money... go for it. It's nice that it has a bigger screen than the ipod touch. You can use it as an ereader, watch movies on it, play games, check email, read newspapers, and websites.

Just do it!

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I can appreciate that your kids are trying to make sure you're not buying things you don't need, but if you want an iPad 3, buy it.

Tell the kids that if it turns out you don't need it, one of them can have it. That ought'ta shut 'em up.

4. applephanatic macrumors member

I'd say go for it! The worse case senario is you return it to Apple or sell it. I love my iPad 2, I use it for most daily tasks (web browsing, twitter and more recently, Monopoly ;).
    I do agree, I definitely don't NEED it, however; having it is quite enjoyable, besides the bigger screen, you would also be getting a processor that would be at least twice as fast as the current generation iPod Touch. As an added bonus, assuming the rumors hold true, you won't be giving up a retina display ( assuming your iPT is a 4 or "5") and if it's an older generation, then you will also be gaining the Retina display!

An alternative could be, that once the iPad 3 comes out, you buy a refurbed iPad 2 or if Apple keeps the iPad 2 on board, buy that at a reduced price. Both option come with 1 Year of Apple Care. If you fall in love with iPad and want to upgrade, then sell the iPad 2 and upgrade to the iPad 3.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!:apple:

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    On the assumption that you earn your own living, support yourself and are not on the public dole, why do you need to appease them in the first place?

Of course, if your kids are supporting you, then that's a different story and they certainly have a say.

If not, do as you please as you've earned the right to purchase technology that educates and delights.

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Ask them what they would have said if you told them they didn't need all those toys you bought them when they were young. That would explain your need.;)

iPad is more portable than a notebook, but has a bigger easier to see screen than an iPod. You don't need it , but it sure makes life easier.

7. mantic macrumors 6502a

If it's not a financial issue, why do you need any justification?

8. rhythmac thread starter macrumors 6502

rhythmac

Its my money...I'm not on the public dole or my kids'! I'm not taking the money from any college fund but I kinda feel a bit guilty because I really don't need it. I can justify the iPod and the MBP in my own mind...I think the iPad is a cool toy....and yes I deserve some toys in life too!

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Nobody needs an iPad. If you want it, go get it!;)

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I say get the iPad 3. You may wind up giving the iPod Touch away. The iPad is great for going to the library or the coffee shop and reading away from home. I sometimes take short business trips with just the iPad. People who get the iPad find they gradually use it more and more as they learn to integrate it into their lives.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm in the same boat. I'm sure the iPad 3 will be nice; however, I just can't find use for a tablet. I've had the iPad 1, 2, Touchpad & KF & in the end, I always picked up my phone or MBP to browse in bed at night. I guess I'm so used to using it. I don't want to spend $500 on something I will only use for 2 weeks

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Clearly, you should use whatever works best for you. By the way, you can return Apple products within 14 days of purchase for a refund.

13. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

Just tells them that it is pretty AMAZING. That should work.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think you are over analyzing this. If you want the iPad3 and can afford it, get it. I have never understood why people would ask others to make choices, like this, for themselves.

I do not know what you do with a computer but you will enjoy the iPad very much as an Internet appliance. For some this is all they will ever need. If this is mainly what you do with your MBP, you will be using your laptop a lot less.

Good Luck on YOUR choice!

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yup! I'm all for an iPad 3 if the base price isn't $499. If its $399, then I'm definitely getting one. But most likely, I'll get one. Like you said, I have 14 days to return it.

16. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm 60 years old. I don't know how old the OP is but I do kind of know where he is coming from. My parents were pretty poor when I was growing up. Money was very tight. Same for me when my son was growing up. I was raised that you never bortowed money for anything except a house and your first car (you drove that car long enough to save and pay cash for your second).

I worked long and hard to finally get to a point where I can afford pretty much anything I want . But after spending your life being careful with money even when you finally reach the point where you can easily afford something you just feel a 'want' is not enough justification.

OP, life is too short. If you can afford it and want it, then buy it.

Oh, and btw, tell your kids to butt out

17. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I'm in another boat. I have a Macbook Pro and an iPod Touch and my daughter BOUGHT me an iPad2 for Christmas. I never would have bought it as I already have the Touch, but I am enjoying the heck out of it. Now all I need is a "Captain Kangaroo" jacket so I can carry the iPad in a pocket. :)

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I, too, have a MBP and an iPod Touch. And a raft of other Apple products, including an original iPad. My kids don't think I need an iPad, either. I didn't ask for their opinions. I'm buying an iPad 3 as soon as they're available. I'm not asking for opinions.
    The iPad's usefulness is something that only really becomes apparent after you've used it for about 15 minutes. I cannot live without one now. My laptop, on the other hand, is still used occasionally. The iPod Touch makes a nice calculator. The iPad is with me at all times.
    Buy it.