Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rboy505

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
I took advantage of Home Inventory's current sale and have been using it with pretty good results to log everything during this pandemic downtime. One problem that I would like to ask for wisdom with is that I've got maybe a 50% success rate with barcodes, which makes it a much more manual entering thing than I'd hoped. It's no doubt got to do with the barcodes themselves and not the IOS Remote App for use with HI. In Googling for barcode format knowledge the hits are all help for using barcode writers, not for the simple end scanner person explaining what to expect. The Home Inventory help is cursory at best. The Mac version is on a MBP on 10.15.4 and the remote scanning is being done on an iPhone 6 with 12.4.6. When it works, it works great. The apps both seem to be doing what they are supposed to.

Basically, a lot of items have only one sticker, with a barcode and number. If it doesn't respond to the scan, or beeps and errors, what next? Is it assuming it's a certain barcode format and is wrong, so it can't scan? If so, is there any strategy for forcing it to recognize it? Or are some of these that look like barcodes actually not the kind of barcodes that the app can use anyway?

If anyone can direct me to a barcode scanning in IOS FAQ, that isn't for someone printing out the barcodes, that would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.