Help me overclock from 2.66ghz to 4Ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by neckarb, Oct 25, 2010.

1. neckarb macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    I'm bored, I feel like seeing how far I can push my Mac Pro 2006,
    it's a 1,1 obviously, i've upgraded the processors to two x5355 @2.66 I've overclocked to 3.2ghz, just. I've done it by pushing the FSB up in windows. Now I want to try and reach 4Ghz, If I can I'll water cool and leave in that way, I know the risks so I'm requesting no lectures, I'm sure it'll be more difficult in OSX so I'm aiming to do it in Windows (7 Pro x64) I'm prepared to replace my RAM to the best RAM I can lay my hands on, I'm aiming to push the CPU voltage up if I can, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know there's every chance that I'll destroy the whole thing, and to be honest I don't NEED to. So Why? you ask, because I want to, and because whats the point of life without risk?

P.S. Any questions about my current set up are welcome.
    If it's not do-able that's fine. but it's worth a try! :)

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

you pushed the fsb in windows? - do teach
    isn't your clock running wild, and sleep broken by now?

3. neckarb thread starter macrumors regular

Hey dude, clock is running fine as the clock speed in Windows runs differently to OSX and on shutdown the FSB is put back to default, I've written a little script that sets it higher again when windows boots. I used an app called SysTool, though there are quite a few different apps you can use, just open SysTool, go to CPU overclocking select ICS93S401 as the clock generator and push away!

[​IMG]

4. neckarb thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh just noticed youve got a MacBook Pro, your going to need a different clock generator, and sleep probably wont work like you said, I don't use sleep personally, I'm just guessing.

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

6. neckarb thread starter macrumors regular