Help me pass down my 3GS to spouse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Jun 10, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

OK here is what I want to do.
    I have the 3GS.
    Spouse has 3G.
    I'm getting the iPhone 4 and want to pass down my old 3GS to Spouse then sell spouse's old 3G.
    This is how I think I can do this so please tell me if my thinking is off anywhere.

Backup my current 3GS to iTunes before I go pick up my new phone.
    Bring new home phone and restore from backup.
    Do a restore to new on my now old 3GS. Take sim card out.
    Go to spouse's computer and do a backup of his 3G.
    Take the sim out of spouse's 3G and put in my now old 3GS and plug into his itunes and restore from backup.
    Put in the discarded sim from my old 3GS into spouses now old 3G and do a restore to new and then remove sim and sell it without a sim.

Is this all correct?
    Do I have to call ATT at all and let them know of the change?

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

all your husband has to do is put his sim in your 3GS and restore from his 3G backup....but since he has a 3G wouldn't it be easier for him to get a full upgrade to iPhone 4? and then perhaps you sell the 3G to help cover your iPhone 4 purchase?

3. CJayC macrumors 6502

I think that's a bad idea. I think you should just get 2 iPhone 4s because they're so much better and you actually have the opportunity to do so.

4. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

The problem is he's not eligible even though he has a 3G because we used his line last year to do my upgarde so he is not eligible until april 2011. He's not that much into iPhones anyway like I am. He just uses it to make calls, text and golf GPS. THAT'S IT! I even just moved his data plan down to the 200 MB since the most he has ever used was 63 mB and that was only one month. Usually it's just 25-50 MB He's quite content just to get my 1 year old 3GS. :D