Help Me Pick A Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ohsnaphappy, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ohsnaphappy macrumors regular

ohsnaphappy

Hey guys! I edit pics all day long. Right now I'm watching YouTube content on an iPad next to my 27" iMac.

I want to get a bigger screen to sit next to my iMac.

Should I get a used 24" Cinema Display off eBay? It has a mini display port and I could hook it up to my iMac's thunderbolt port and use it as a second display.

Or should I get an "Apple look-alike" television and hook it up to my Apple TV via HDMI? Problem with this is I can't use my bluetooth headphones, right?

Or any other suggestions?

2. vandoorn macrumors regular

I don't know about the displays, but you can use your Bluetooth headphones just fine. It won't be a problem at all.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If all you want to do is watch YouTube (or other videos up to 1080p) on it and you have the space available, how about the Dell S2740L or HP Pavilion 27xi?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

1080p on displays that big just seems like a waste space.

Personally I'd go with a 23-24" 1080p display unless you can get a really good deal on a 24" Cinema Display. I thought about getting one for my Mini but I had a hard time justifying the price on a pre-owned display that might only have so much life left in it.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The same would go for a 60" HDTV set then. However, if you don't have content > 1080p, you don't need a display resolution beyond 1080p.

He indicated that the display is to watch YouTube, in that case 1080p is sufficient. As a (main) computer display, those 27" 1080p displays surely aren't that great but he has the iMac for that.

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I read it as that he was currently watching YouTube content on that other screen, not that that was the end goal.

If it is then I'd agree that a big 1080p display could work, but I was assuming it would be used for content other than that as well.

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you have the cash maybe invest in this. half the cost of a thunderbolt display but same resolution.

Asus PB278Q

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

What resolution / size are you looking for? Do you want it to match your iMac in resolution and / or screen size or does it not matter to you?

I personally just picked up the HP 22BW and find it matches the screen quality and resolution of my iMac great. Mind you I have a 21.5" iMac so the HP listed by another user above (the 27" version of this one) might fit you better. Than again, the resolution is the same in both, this one is just cheaper.

Basically, it all depends what you want it for. For the money, apple does make great displays but they will cost you a pretty penny. If you want a true multi-monitor setup you'll want a screen that matches in size and resolution but if it's just for viewing youtube content or something I'm sure a 22" monitor would be plenty.

9. kant macrumors 6502

You have a 27" iMac with tb. That makes it mid-2011 or newer and means it will push any resolution you'd want.
    You want a second display bigger than 10" but no bigger than 24".
    You edit photos for a living so you're probably not going to be happy with a TN screen.
    You'd like to hook your Apple TV to it as well.

This gets you down to 32 choices.

HDMI for the Apple TV and use a TB -> DVI for the iMac connection. Several of those have PIP/PBP. I also filtered out the 29" screens, but they would technically meet your rather loose requirements.

10. puravtech macrumors newbie

Well spotted. The comparably priced Dell and LG monitors aren't nearly as good as this one. The robust Asus warranty and the fantastic build quality make it worth your money to jump up one tier from the budget Korean WQHD monitors.

11. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Disagree about the Dell not being as good, I think it's a fair bit better. IME, the PB278Q has a dimmer right edge of screen (more light fall-off), and the contrast ratio isn't as good, nor is the OSD, and it lacks a USB hub. It's still a great monitor though.

12. blanka macrumors 68000

What is the main use of your new screen? Watching youtube solely, or do you want to watch more serious movies too? Biggest problem with computer displays and video is that they usually only to 60 frames/second, and that stinks if you play movies, which are 23.976 frames/second. The Dell U2713HM for example, is using the same panel as the iMac, with a matte finish, and it does support 23.976fps.

Oh, forget the 24 inch Apple. It is so old right now, you probably won't find a good condition one. It is a problematic screen (as most aluminium Apple's are).