Help me pick a game

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mrgreen4242, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok here's the story: I have/will have one night a week with ~3 hours or so to play video games (being a new parent sucks up a lot of time - in a good way of course). So what game do I get? Here's the basic requirements:
    1. Runs on my iMac (2.4ghz C2D, 2gb, ATI 2600 w/ 256mb). I'm willing and able to install XP via BootCamp
    2. No monthly fee
    3. Can be paused (so no online games)
    4. Can be played in short (say 1 hour) intervals - nothing that needs huge 6+hour sessions
    5. I like games that have good stories/characters as well as action and some thought required. That said games that are so huge as to make of difficult to remember what you are supposed to be doing if you only play infrequently annoy me.

So the games that I thought might be good were halflife 2, bioshock, or fallout 3. Any of these best fit my criteria or anything else that might be a good fit?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

can you get GH for mac/pc? Sports games don't really fit the good story/character criteria. CoD is a good suggestion though, I'll add it to the list to look into more.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes, you can get guitar hero for mac/pc. its nice as the game is able to play in either like spore is

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

So what kind of games do you like? Being a big fan of turn-based and real-time strategy games, I'm not sure if you like the same types of games, or if you're more of a first-person shooter type, or what?

If you like FPS games, you may be better off buying them for a console, of course.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

while im a much bigger fan of fps on a console. there are many who say that the only way to play fps is with a mouse a keyboard.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Well, having little experience with FPS-type games, I could only say what numerous other people have said. ;)

Of course, there are cost issues as well. A console + TV is much cheaper than a gaming machine + display.

8. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Having just played through Fable, I can strongly recommend it, it has a reasonable story, doesn't have to be played in marathon sessions and is damn good fun. Get the PC version which is much cheaper then the Mac one.

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

sorry to be off topic but

where the heeeell can i start a new thread? i can't find it!#$ @39570

btw if you look i'm a "macrumors newbie"....

10. timmyb macrumors 6502

Look here.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

when you are in a forum (such as the iphone forum) there is a "new thred" button at the top left before all the threads are listed

12. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

guitar hero doesn't take that long to be played because you can play one song or if you have time you can play several you have that choice

13. el.gringo macrumors newbie

I would second fable, COD 4, bioshock, and fallout 3. Also, if you want to run boot camp, Far Cry 2 is good because each mission is not that long (almost all under an hour) and you are free to save whenever. Plus, the objective indicator is really concise, and marks where on your map you need to go so you do not have to remember.

Also, Star Wars KOTOR is an oldie but a goodie, and you can always do under-one-hour battles in Age of Empires 3, starcraft, Command and Conquer, etc. And, of course, Halo is always good.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but it is addicting like none other lol

i love that game. may have to get it for my ps3

15. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Played (and finished) Fable back when I had an XBox (before being a busy Dad) and loved it. Reminded me of Zelda, a little. I'm looking forward to when Fable II hits the PC in a couple years or whatever. Also played Halo and Halo 2 (beat the first, didn't actually finish the second) around that same time. I tried KOTOR and didn't care for it.

I've played all the Blizzard games ad nauseum when they were new, so those are probably out. :p Can't wait for D3 though...

Bioshock is cheap now, under $20, so I'll probably start with that. I think I read it's under 20 hours, is that correct?

Fallout 3 looks good, but at $50 it's probably a bit much since there's several other cheaper games I haven't played yet. Anyone know about how long it will take to complete? One of the reasons I'm hesitant to try Oblivion (again - played on the 360 long ago) is that it's sooo freaking huge and with limited time I could play it for months and not get anywhere.

I played CoD (2 or 3 I think?) on the XBox (or maybe 360) when it was new. Fun game, so I'll check out CoD 4 on your recommendations (but maybe not till it's a bit cheaper... like $25-30 or so).

How about Half-Life 2? It was a game I was really looking forward to playing back before it came out, but missed it when it was new. Now that it's cheap ($20 for the original, $40 for Orange Box), did it live up to the hype? Is Portal worth buying the Orange Box package for?

I've long been intrigued by Guitar Hero... I'll start eBay hunting for one ($70 is a little pricey for a game I'm not sure I will like and there's no way to demo it, really). Can two people play that (with a second guitar)?

Lastly, GTA4 is getting released for PC shortly here. Worth it? As good as the hype? Will my wife get pissed if she sees me playing? :p

Will my iMac (Radeon2600 version) handle all these games? I bought the model with upgraded intentionally so I could use it for gaming, but it isn't the greatest video card out there. I'm fine turning settings down and what not, as long as the game still looks decent.

Thanks for the pointers, I've been out of the video game "scene" for a couple years now, save the Wii which I had for awhile (just for Zelda and Mario Kart, really).

EDIT: Just occurred to me that I've not played any of the new Sam and Max games! Duh! Those are cheap and should fill up a couple months of play - plus the episodic nature of the game should be perfect for my limited, spread out game time.

EDIT2: Can I buy a game from Steam, say Half-Life 2, and then "upgrade" it to a package that includes that game later? Like buy HL2 and then buy the Orange Box package for another $20 if I like it?

16. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu

17. el.gringo macrumors newbie

Yeah, I guess go with Bioshock for now, since it is cheap and is what you want. I agree about oblivion: it might be a little much to play in one hour snippets. Fallout 3 might actually be similar to that, since its made by the same company and follows generally the same formula.

Definitely pick up COD 4 when you can afford it: it is one of the best shooters out right now IMO and is easy to pick up and play whenever. And, again, check out Far Cry 2. I know it is new and therefore a bit on the pricy side, but it sounds very much like what you need. It is very simple to pick up and play, as all the missions are self-contained and pretty quick (under an hour). Decent plot (politically charged atmosphere rife with assassinations, double-crossing, etc.) and good characters, including buddies who you come to rely on to save you if you get in a tight spot, and vice-versa. And, you get at least 30 hours of gameplay out of it (much more if you do the side quests), so it is a great value for your money. Amazing blend of long, in-depth game and pick up and play capabilities.

As to the orange box, Portal is a bunch of fun if you like something that requires a bit more thinking than the average game, seeing as it has a lot of physics-based puzzles. Not sure if it justifies the extra cost. That is up to you.

Can't comment on guitar hero or GTA 4. never played either, sorry.

As to the graphics: I think your card should be able to handle most of these games, but probably on low settings. if you are unsure, check youtube for gameplay videos of various games on your computer. so, search something like "imac Radeon 2600 bioshock" or whatever and see. Also, I would max out your RAM before doing any gaming. RAM is cheap these days, and easy to install in iMacs. check macsales.com if you need RAM.

Hope that helps some.

18. Asnyers macrumors newbie

How about Tomb Raider games?

You say you like games that have good stories/characters as well as action and some thought required. You will find all of these thing in a Tomb Raider game. Why don't you try Tomb Raider Anniversary? You can get it for mac (but the PC version goes for under $20 now). http://www.feralinteractive.com/game/tombraider

19. autobotjones macrumors newbie

For me it would only be two options. Guitar hero or Fallout 3

20. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

for really good character, and immensely good story line you should go for the half life series. i never played HL1, and just bought HL2 years ago. and even though its so old i still love playing it time and time again. especially the new 'episodes' which link in very well with portal.

otherwise something like Bioshock is good, considering number two is out/coming out.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, no you're not. Mod support, better graphics, higher resolutions, cheaper, faster loading, more control options including the best for an FPS (mouse & keyboard) all on the PC/Mac side.

I'd strongly recommend the Orange Box. 3 incredible story driven games, Portal, and 1 highly addictive, very well made online multiplayer. Windows only though.

22. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

No. You will have two copies of the game and you will be able to "gift" the second copy of the game to a friend.

COD4 is a good game. Look at Kill Monty, it is fairly cheap and pretty addictive, and takes very little time to play, but a lot of time to get really good at. Valve games are great. HL2 is great, Portal is a must play, and if you have fast internet TF2 is fun to play online. Left 4 Dead comes out soon from Valve as well, and I only expect it to be a great game. :apple:

23. BJWanlund macrumors regular

Does anybody know if that The Price is Right game will work on a 1st-gen black MacBook with a 2 GHz Core Duo and an Intel GMA 950 graphics chip (i.e. has anyone tried it)?

BJ