Help me pick a monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fleshman03, Jan 13, 2009.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Help me MacRumors, you're my only hope.

I want to find something cheap b/c I'm going to buy the new ACD in about a year. This is only to help me with some simple web development. (15" isn't to enough.)

I have some questions. Is the TFT active matrix and TN the same technology or not? Does it go like TFT < TN < IPS?

What is in the early '08 MBP? I don't want the laptop display putting the monitor to shame. (At least not too badly.)

I'm hoping to get out of it ~ $100-$130. If it has speakers, that would be a plus. Also, it needs to be 19"+.

So is it possible?

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

All monitors you're likely to buy use active TFT matrix technology. Ignore that for now. In terms of quality, you have three panel technologies to choose from, to wit:

TN (Twisted Nematic film) < PVA (Patterned Vertical Alignment) < IPS (In-Plane Switching).

You'll be able to find a cheap monitor around 19" probably on tigerdirect or newegg if you look for it; you'll certainly be able to find it used. Any monitor in this price range will be TN, so don't hope for much in terms of quality or color fidelity. I suggest buying used, since it's apparently disposable. Check out ebay.

3. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Thanks for your input. I was beginning to think this thread was DOA.

I get what you are saying. I'll take a look online @ some places.

Here are three I'm looking at
    Dell SE198WFP
    SVA 9005W 19"
    Samsung 19" Widescreen

I'm just concerned the screen will look like crap next to my MBP.