Help Me Pick a Verizon Phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac In School, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

After installing the recent MR update on my Treo 700p, it has to go. I'm pretty sure I can convince Verizon to replace it with something else.

I could opt for the Windows Treo (700wz), but I'm a bit sour on the whole Treo thing after the MR debacle.

I want to be armed with a decision, just in case I am able to convince them to send me a different phone.

I'll probably get another PDA/Phone combo. Looking at (in no particular order):

Motorola Q
    Blackberry 7130e
    Blackberry 8703e
    Blackberry 8830

My smartphone needs are pretty simple. All I really do is check Email on them. Opening and editing Word/Excel docs means nothing to me. Obviously I want something that syncs (contacts) well with OS X.

I'm also starting to think I might want to jump ship on this whole smartphone thing for a while, and going with something simple like a RAZR. When I travel, I could forward my Email to my Yahoo account, and use the RAZR to check my Yahoo Email.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't know what MR means when it comes to the Treos, but Windows Mobile is awesome, and if your old Treo that sucked was running the Palm OS, a WM Treo may be worth a shot. Otherwise, BlackBerry. From what I've heard, the Q isn't all that bad either, but me personally, I like a touchscreen.

Sadly, with Verizon, if you don't go with a smart phone, you'll get stuck with their crappy, locked down pieces of junk. Seems like a smart phone is the only way to get a Verizon phone that hasn't been bastardized.

3. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Well, Verizon won't replace your phone with a different model until you have gone through 3 replacements of the same phone within 90 days for a valid argument.

That said, I'd stay away from the Q. It's slow, battery life is bad w/o the extended battery, and it's going to be updated soon hopefully with the Q9m.

The 8830 is getting mixed reviews. Some like it, some hate it. The loudness of the phone is getting some negatives as well as the keyboard.

The 8703 is still one of the best BB phones for Verizon, but it's getting outdated. And the 7130 is also another loved one on Verizon.

If you wait a few weeks, the XV6800, successor to the 6700, and the i760 will be released if you want to stay on the Windows Mobile bandwagon.

Since you said that you want the ability to sync easily with your Mac, you'll have to get the Missing Sync to have all the features of syncing that Windows users already get for free.

If you want a dumbphone that is easy to sync with iSync, some of the Motorola's are good because they still have the Synergy OS on it. The only exception to that is the Maxx, which is just a sad phone in all. LG's require you to use BitPim as they are not compatible with iSync.

If you want any more info, post here and I'll answer more.

4. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

MR = Maintenance Release. Here's a thread about the woes of the Palm OS-powered 700p with the MR installed.

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

As Heavy Doody said, MR is maintenance release. There are threads all over message boards that basically saying the MR botched their beloved Treo.

Next March when my NE2 comes up, I'm going to be getting the XV6800 most likely because I do not want to deal with the Verizon UI. I also don't want to hassle with hacking my phone to get it the way I want it.

Next thing you know Verizon will be putting their own UI on the PDAs...:eek:

6. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Good info. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I figured they might have a few more hoops for me to jump through. I'm a patient man. I don't mind waiting it out, and playing the game. This is a known, documented issue, so they should be quicker to offer a solution, but I understand why they can't.

I actually have MissingSync now. It's what I use to sync with my 700p. Will the same software work with Windows Mobile or are there different versions for Win/Palm OS?

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Well, it's both Palm and Verizon's fault that it's butchering phones left and right. There was probably a month delay between Verizon releasing their MR and Sprint and not that many complaints for Sprint, so blame it on Verizon once again.

You will have to upgrade to a different version if you want to use it with Windows Mobile. I think it's like a $20 upgrade, but they did release a new version so I'm not sure if they'd charge you full price. But yes, there are different versions.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's a Missing Sync for Windows Mobile. I've never used it, my phone syncs with my school's Exchange server. I don't care where it syncs (as I have no use for my contacts and stuff on my local computer), I just care that it syncs somewhere in case I lose the device, and I figure that the Exchange server, with it's gigantic RAID array, fault tolerance and 99.99% uptime is a bit more reliable than my computer :D

9. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmmmmm...

I'm trying to get through this without spending any money on software, since I'm probably going to wait out my contract for 8 more months then switch to an iPhone. If not an iPhone, something on AT&T, so I have free minutes with those I speak to most.

Any idea how well the Blackberries sync with OS X?

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

How screwed up is your Treo?

From what I've read, BlackBerries sync well with OS X as long as you have the MissingSync installed. I've read reports on the free PocketMac software, people hate it. Too much trouble for the price of free. I don't think the BlackBerry syncs natively with iSync either. Not sure though...

11. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

I can connect to the Internet about half the time I try, and my phone reboots when making/receiving calls maybe twice/day.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When I had a BlackBerry, Missing Sync didn't work worth a damn and PocketMac worked whenever it felt like it, which wasn't often. YMMV.

13. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

The more I think about this, the more I'm liking the idea of a smaller phone. What are your thoughts on the XV6700?

Does it sync with a Mac using Mark/Space, just like the other Windows Mobile phones? I assume installing software on it would be the same as any other Windows Mobile phone?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Never used one (I wouldn't touch verizon with a barge pole) but yeah, it should sync and install apps just like any other Windows Mobile phone. I don't think Verizon bastardizes their smart phones

15. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Its Windows Mobile, so it should work normally. Although, personally, I'd go with the touchscreen PPC one. Windows Mobile can be a pain to use without a touch screen. There's just so much there, and tapping it is a hell of a lot easier than pressing all the buttons

17. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Now I'm back on the XV6700 bandwagon. LOL.

I can't make up my mind!!!

I have like 2 days to make a decision.

18. zflauaus macrumors 65816

You're like me! I was set on the Curve when it comes to VZW, then the XV6800, then the 8130 as of right now.

I would stay away from the 6700 because A) it'll be updated in 2 days (reportedly) but only on B2B channels, B) voice is said to be hit and miss, C) battery life sucks.

It all depends what you want to do with the phone. If you're going to be online tonight, hit me up on AIM if you have it. If not, PM me if you have MSN or Yahoo and I'll reply back with my contact info. I'll be able to help you more since it'll be more instantaneous.

19. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I've heard some complaints regarding the Moto Q, mainly that it's not that great.. on a CDMA carrier where I live.. they're basically giving them away for free with a contract.

If I was to pick a phone on that list, I'd probably go for the BB Curve, but that's just me, I have lots of friends who have Blackberries and can't live without them.

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I dunno if the enV is a smartphone, but its a pretty decent model.

My friend has it, and it really makes sending a message to someone a hell of a lot easier with the full keyboard.

21. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Update on the phone releases:

All of those previous dates were false. The Q9m was released on the 22nd or sometime earlier last week. The XV6800 and the i760 have been delayed until, most likely, October-ish. The 8130 (Pearl) will be released in November.

All in all, Verizon sucks.