Help Me Pick a Web Host!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Unprocessed1, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Some background on me: I know VERY little about web sites, hosting.

Some background on my site:
    -Using RapidWeaver to design/edit site
    -I'm expecting to get a good deal of visitors some days (upwards of 500-1000 daily)
    -I'm going to be using a professional RapidWeaver Theme
    -I need a host that will not take down my site because I exceed an X number of visitors
    -I need something no more expensive that $6.95/month
    -Since my knowledge is limited, I really need good/acceptable customer service that will be patient with me.

Really my biggest concern is that I'll get so many visitors one day the site will be down for a while, and i'll get a message requiring me to upgrade, etc.

Can you guys help me out

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I researched Hostmonster and Blue Host, as well as some others and they apparently are known for taking down your sit once it gets popular. Dream Host apparently promises not to do that, and that is very attractive for me.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Please note there are already 2 topics posted within the last 24hrs about that very subject, listed just below this one in the topics list. Might want to join in there:

Paid Hosting opinions.
    Who do you use for web hosting?

I've seen numerous suggestions posted there that fit your criteria.

Thank you! :)

FYI: My response below is intended for the group here, I'm not hijacking your post, please do not hesitate to use this topic further. I'm just thinking out loud and happened to think of this while reading your topic, you did nothing wrong.

-jim

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Come to think of it, maybe we need a sticky topic here named "Recommended Webhosts" or something and break it down into free and commercial with nothing but names and links.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

We do, you started it ;) That particular part simply hasn't been filled in yet.

5. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

Host Gator is the best

Use this code for your first month only 99cents:

HGCOUPONBLOG

6. Terrador macrumors regular

7. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I realize their are many good webhosts out there, but I need one that specially allows their customers to get a few hundred visitors a day without having to worry about getting thrown offline.

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Oh yeah, been busy trying to buy a townhome and working, haven't made updates to the sticky topic I got there now. Thanks for reminding me!!!

:rolleyes:

-jim

9. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Any decent provider will allow a few hundred visits per day -- unless you're serving large files or something like that. Usually you get a few gigabytes of throughput per month with a cheap host like that.

10. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

FYI: I have updated the sticky topic "Helpful links for web design and development" with numerous webhosts based on those added here on the forum. If I missed an important one, send me a PM (do not reply here). Thank you and returning control back to the OP.