Help me pick between a 64GB iPhone 6, and a 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Perk, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Perk macrumors member

Hello,

I'm trying to choose between an iPhone 6, and a 6 plus (both 64GB), but I'm a bit undecided with a few concerns.

I'm a fairly small guy, mid 20s. I wear relatively tight jeans but not really on the skinny side. Some of my pants/jeans don't have really deep pockets, too, and I'm overall worried if the plus will fit with my daily usage or not.

As much as I want the Plus, I feel that the regular 6 can be more convenient on a daily usage.

The phone isn't available anywhere on display where I can go and check it out, but I did hold a Note 4, and at first glance, I actually don't mind it's size.

If you have any experience with either, please help me pick, thanks!

2. cababah macrumors 68000

How important is battery life to you? A full HD display? Those are the main reasons I got the 6+ over the 6 (which I had initially).

To me, the 6+ has taken time to get used to and still at times can be a tad unwieldy but it's a compromise I happily make every day to get that awesome battery life and larger HD display.

Each person places a different weight on these features. You have to decide what you prioritize in your phone.

3. Perk, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

Perk thread starter macrumors member

Battery life and a larger full HD display are both extremely important to me, but honestly, so is convenience.

4. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I changed my phone two weeks ago from a Note 2.

Was going for the 6+ 64Gb but when I saw it, realised it is actually very long. This makes it uncomfortable in use (I have small hands), but more importantly it wouldn't fit in a pocket easily. I decided to go with the 6 and after two weeks I love it! The size is great both for use and for carrying in a pocket.

My recommendation.. Go for the 6, it is excellent.

5. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

Make a template of the two and see how it fits in your hand and pocket. The 6 plus suits me and I had the same dilemma!

6. Perk thread starter macrumors member

Is the plus causing you any problems carrying it around (or in your pockets)?

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

For me the better battery and screen of the 6 Plus were not enough when I took the size of the device in to account. I bought the 6 and for day to day use I feel for me it was a better option. To be honest the Plus is marginally better, but the real decision is on size. If you can handle the bigger size then get the Plus. If you think it will be a problem then get the 6. They are both great phones and the pro's and con's of each pretty much equalise them depending on your needs. :)

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Order a cheap case from Amazon, it only costs a couple of bucks and it will give you a good idea on the size of the phone and how it will feel in your pockets.

9. Arni99 macrumors regular

I had both the 6 and 6+ and kept the 6+.
    Battery life + better low light photos were the main reasons for the 6+.
    The 6 didn't really feel like an upgrade after having used the 5s for a long time.
    I always put the 6+ in my shirt-pocket. All is good ;).

10. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Everyone's wants, needs, and preferences are different. Heck, there are some that think the 3.5" screen is the only way to go. I can't believe how many people ask for others to decide for them.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its tough to help make someone else's mind up. I think the iPhone 6 plus advantages make it a clear winner, but then battery life and screen size are important to me. Along with the OIS camera since I'm using the phone's camera more and more.

As for the iPhone 6, people may prefer the smaller size and more holdable form factor. The smaller phone feels right in the hand and many people don't want to deal with a huge phone.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yoiu need to go to see a 6+ in person as only you can make this choice. I would love to have the screen of the 6+ but there is just so much I am willing to put up with and the 6+ size is too much for me on everyday use.

YOU got to decide.

13. PrimeTimeMKTO macrumors regular

I went with the 6 plus and love it. My fiance has the 6, and she loves it as well. You will be happy with either. I went for the battery life and screen. Outside of work I rarely open a computer and don't own an ipad, so all my work and play online happens on my phone. If I had an Ipad, I would consider the 6. I have no problems pocketing it, but I find my self carrying it in my hand more often around work, and it now sits on my desk. I am definitely "conscioius" of my phone being there, where I wasn't with my 5. I think I would feel the same about the 6 though, as they don't make you feel as secure as the brick that was the 5 and 5s. If you think you can manage the 6 plus I would go with that, but if you have real concerns over size, maybe the 6 is your best bet.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Order a 6+ and return it if you don't like it.

I found that the size of the 6+ was too unstable when I used it one-handed, something I do a lot. After having my 6 its apparent that reaching up to delete email notifications would be awkward on the much taller phone. I turned off Reachability because it just adds extra steps to do simple things.

15. littleredwagen macrumors newbie

I have medium sized hands. I got the 6+ but I have a few months of using a Galaxy S5 so the size is easier to adjust to. If you are coming from a iPhone 5 or even worse 4/4s there will be adjustment time. I had friends that went similar adjustment when they went to note 3's

16. dannyTO macrumors regular

dannyTO

17. Jase718 macrumors member

I would personally recommend the plus because of the bigger battery. But at the end of the day go with what you feel is right!

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

The regular 6 is straight up the more practical device. It's a good size, easily pocketable and usable with one hand.

The 6+ is slightly more awkward. Quickly typing out a reply on the move or pulling it out of your pocket to change tracks is going to be a bit of an issue. One that you can live with, but something to consider.

Also if you have a small head it'll look comical when you take a phone call...(I kid, I kid :p)

Personally I feel that it's worth adapting to the larger phone if it means you get a higher res screen and a better battery life.

19. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

I wear Levi jeans most of the time and it fits perfectly! No problems sitting down, or ridding a bike even!

20. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

My take?

If you have an Ipad, get the 6.

If you don't, get the 6+.

21. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

If you're looking for something more convenient as far as carrying around, and tend to talk on the phone allot, then the 6 would be my choice. I have the 6 +, but I barely talk on my phone. With that being said I tend to worry a bit more about it "bending" since it's a bigger phone, something to keep in mind if you keep your phone in your front pockets like I do. Besides the battery and screen size, it's basically the same phone per say.

22. tritron macrumors regular

I like iphone 6+ that just got from apple store. It fits in my pants well. My lg g3 has same screen size fits much better.

23. PrimeTimeMKTO macrumors regular

Agree. I don't have an IPad, and do all my computing outside of my office on my 6 plus. It does the job perfectly. Battery is great too. I think if you can "manage" the size it is totally worth it.

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The wifey has man hands and consumes a lot of content and she couldn't be happier with the 6+. For me I carry my phone exclusively in a shirt pocked and consider the 6+ a two handed device (and I won't be appearing on a Jimmy Fallon skit with baby hands). Unless I'm wrong the cameras are the same except for OIS and the improved larger screen is more than enough for me for movies, clips, games, etc. I'm always slathered in strong WiFi and don't use commonly battery intensive apps <cough> FaceBook <cough> so extended battery life isn't an issue for me.

So for me it was portability and one-handed usability that made the difference. I'm sure others will have no issues with either of those but as someone else pointed out it's truly a personal decision and mine is worth the paper this is written on. My true feelings are "bigger is better" but it would have made the phone too awkward for me to use.

25. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I just switched from the 6 to the Plus and am beyond satisfied and happy, yeah the Plus is big, but its thin, its thinness makes it feel light in your pocket and slim too, and it is alot easier to hold imo then other phablets that are thicker and wider too.

If you feel that the Note 4 is tolerable and nice to hold, then the Plus no doubt will be like that too, why not try and play with one at a Apple store?

Im beyond happy i went with the 6 to the Plus, the battery life is NOTICEABLY better on the Plus and lasts really dam long, and the full HD screen is just so beautiful and spacious, these two alone are worth it and of course you also get OIS