Help me pick..Image S4i or a-jay 4? Something better?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by map1978, Oct 19, 2011.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Finally looking to replace my 2 year old NuForce NE-7M headphones w/ mic. Wire is finally starting to go and now I'm on the hunt for headphones that have music controls.

$100 price range...got it down to Image S4i or a-jays 4 headphones

Anything better out there in that price range?

Would like to hear from the people with experience who have used one or the other, or both actually.

Any input is appreciated, thanks :D

2. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

3. gotuonpaper macrumors newbie

4. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

You know what I use ;) also when you order it, make sure it's the Bose iMIE2 - it has a mic and volume control that works with your iPhone as well as any Mac

[​IMG]

5. X-5 macrumors newbie

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Here's my take on the S4i's, however, I'm definitely in the minority so YMMV.

7. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

i have the a-jays three and the sound that the cable makes into the headphones is awful. It's really distracting. I wouldn't recommend them. I know they're not the 4's but the cable is the same so I would imagine the noise would be the same

8. buddybd macrumors 6502

I read that the s4i is not very durable, which is why they made the s5i. I myself ordered the Denon 560r because tge remote in the s5i is too big.

9. yrrej macrumors regular

i'm on my 3rd pair of a-jays fours. they keep breaking on me, and the warranty department is very good about getting me a replacement pair right away. still, 3 pairs in less than a year is pretty ridiculous.

the sound is just ok. there is a lot of noise when you hit the cables like someone has already mentioned.

i recently purchased the s4i and the sound is clearly better than the a-jay fours, the buds are a lot more comfortable as well. but the thin cord makes the earbuds feel really cheap. the mic placement for the earphones is also very poor many times people had a hard time hearing me.

10. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

I have both of them - I like the ajay fours for the flat cable, but other than that the s4i wins in every way. More comfortable, I like the two different wearing styles, smaller jack so it fits aftermarket cases, and the sound quality is definitely a smidge improved.

That having been said, I still use the ajay 4s as a "keep it in your backpack just in case" set of buds.

11. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Indeed. I love my s4i buds!!

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

pretty sure that's an auxiliary battery, not a case.

I have the ajays 4. bought them on a whim because they look nice. didn't expect them to sound better than my Klipsch x10i. I was correct. In fact, they kinda sound like crap.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

My s4i's came in today. I ordered them from Amazon. After listening for an hour, I'm returning them. The sound was too harsh. At about 75% volume, everything sounded like hissing.

I had some iBeats that were still in good condition, but I just wanted to switch them up. I'm sending the s4i's back and will continue to use my iBeats. The sound is definitely superior.

14. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

s4i's are the best under $150. DO NOT BUY BEATS! I HATE HATE HATE the beats. The beats are piece of ***** meant for people that think it looks cool to have stupid red headphones. Ive had 4 replacements for beats headphones. The cables always rip. My S4i's had never had a problem.

The bose's are pretty good as well. I prefer the s4i's tho.

15. Degree macrumors newbie

IEMs are much better then buds btw check out this forum: http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

----------

You have to burn them in, about 40 hours in and it will settle in, trust me.
    One hour is not enough for it to burn

and @ OP, I suggest the s4i, it is the one of the most top quality IEMs, some headfiers' even said it should be worth 2x the price

16. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Save up your money and buy some IEM's. If you buy a cheaper pair you will often run into build quality problems or sound quality issues. I've had a pair of Sennheiser IE8's for nearly a year with absolutely no issues at all and the sound quality can't be matched by cheaper buds.

[​IMG]

17. Juan A macrumors newbie

I really like the klipsch s4i's. The trick with them is to try all of the ear pieces. I initially stuck them in and thought they were so so. The comfort was fine so I did not even try any of the other ear pieces. After doing some research I decided to give the ear pieces a try. I found that they all sounded different. Once I found the pair that actually fit the best, I also found that they also sounded the best. Having the correct ear pieces made a huge difference in the performance of the s4i's.

18. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I'd recommend buying the foam tips from Comply... they make a huge difference in sound quality and isolation. I started using these when I had a pair of the Apple In-Ear headphones, and have used them to replace the stock tips on every pair since. They always result in better sound quality and isolation.

http://www.complyfoam.com/

I recently purchased the Klipsch S4is (w/ Comply tips) and have been happy so far... I am interested to see if there is anything worthwhile in the new Shift line from Paradigm. I've been a huge fan of their home speakers for quite awhile.

19. njgeek macrumors regular

Don't buy Beatz, don't buy Bose. See if you can get a discounted or resold version of the Bowers and Wilkins C4 IEMs, then grab a pack of Comply TX-400 foam tips. Pure bliss, amazing sound.

20. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

all of your posts have been extremely helpful...please keep your suggestions coming...

thanks to the poster who shared the link to the IEM forum..great suggestions over there

haha def wasn't gonna by anything named beats, that's for sure

I've been using the comfy tips with my NuForce headphones and the sound was amazing...looking for a pair similiar with music controls, but not in the $300 range

all these suggestions is making it very difficult to decide :confused:

thanks for all your input so far, truly appreciate it :D