Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Hello everyone,

I purchased a MacBook Pro back in June of 2009 when I was about to start college. Last fall the display broke, but it was still usable (Long story). I put it up on eBay 2 days ago and am hoping for it to sell between $300-$500 for parts.

I was planning on purchasing a new MacBook Pro today. However, I did not think that they would split the MacBook Pro series like they did. The new Retina MacBook at 15.4" leads me to believe that the 13" will receive an update next year sometime. The thought of me purchasing a 13" laptop to have it be vastly outdated in the next year does not sit well with me. Do you think it is worth it to eat the bullet and purchase the 15" Retina or should i go with the 13"? Keep in mind I will be using the purchase for 4-5 years.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
Go for the 15" IMO.

You're probably right in the sense that the 13" will be replaced with retina displays in the future, but that isn't the main reason to stay away from them. Rather, a 15" will keep you up to date for awhile, not to mention giving you the extra 2" of space and faster speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.