Help me pick - stuck for weeks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhino89, Dec 7, 2014.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

Nov 7, 2011
    Hoping you guys can help me pick between MBA and rMBP, been stuck for weeks. Definitely going with 8gb RAM, and 128-256 GB SSD:

I want a 13" laptop that will last me at least 3-5 years. I'm the kind of person who has 15 tabs open in chrome, iTunes playing music, I'm downloading things in the background, transferring/using multiple documents and files with finder, streaming shows, and also emailing/messaging. Lots of multitasking, but not sure if necessarily power-hungry multitasking (I definitely don't video edit or photo edit, but I do sometimes work with just transferring large photos). Here's why I'm stuck:

MBA: love the portability and battery life, but portability isn't a must-have since I won't be carrying it around. Screen on these will probably be considered "subpar" within 1-2 years. But they're so light-weight very convenient even at home.

rMBP: retina screen will probably become the "standard" within 1-2 years. Battery life I'm seeing some quotes between 7-9 hours, which is okay but 12 hours on MBA would have been nice (but not a deal breaker). At the same time, this is a performance beast that will be future-proofed for the next 3-5 years. Heavier than MBA, but retina and performance and a "tighter package" (it seems like it's more compact, slightly smaller on all sides) are a plus and I have no worries it'll be able to handle my multitasking.

Price-wise, it breaks down to this list of deals I can choose from (all 13"):
    1.4 MBA 8gb 256 gb: $1035
    1.4 MBA 8 gb 128gb: $845
    1.7 MBA 8gb 128gb: $1075
    1.7 MBA 8gb 256gb: $1178
    2.6 rMBP 8gb 128gb: $1030
    2.6 rMBP 8gb 256gb: $1180

Money isn't tight, but I want a good value for the pricetag, definitely a 5-year "investment" in this computer.

All input is very much appreciated!!!
  2. sarthak macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2012
    It's a tough choice but, I'd say it boils down to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

With the MacBook Air any battery wear on a 12 hour charge would be negligible (say it lasts 7 hours by that time) whereas, wear is a lot worse on the rMBP units (around 3-5 hours). These are estimates for solid use over 3 to 5 years.

However, since you don't plan on carrying it around all that often. The MacBook Pro with Retina display should be plentiful both in power, display being on-par with what has become fairly standard and battery life as sufficient (due to less wear, say around 7 hours).

Storage usage only increases (unless you plan on jumping to the cloud) so a $150 investment in a 256gb model now would suffice any future demand.

You should also consider getting Apple Care perhaps, not right away but, within the 1 year period to extend the warranty for another 2 years (if in North America).
  3. wct097 macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2010
    I'd go with the Retina screen Pro unless you really think the weight of the Air is going to make a dramatic difference for you.

Agreed completely. Especially if you want to have it for 5 years. Apple builds great stuff, but they don't build it to last. The longest I've had a MBP last is 2.5 years before major problems (logic board this time, screen last time). The longest I've had a magsafe charger last is 1.5 years. I'm not sure I'll buy another premium priced, but low quality Apple laptop again, but if I do, it'll definitely have Apple Care.
  4. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 7, 2011
    What do you mean by low quality? Like getting a base model vs one with some upgrades?
  5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2009
    Retina, Retina, Retina, Retina...never buy anything with out the retina screen.
  6. wct097 macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2010
    I mean that I think that Apple laptops are low quality (based on my repeated experiences of hardware failures) at a premium price. I'm kind of a "disgruntled fan" of their machines. I like to use them, but I hate Apple for putting out junk that they barely support.