Help me ping faster!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jophster, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jophster macrumors member

Hi All
    My iMac has always seemed to be a lot slower than all the other (Windows) computers in my household. I did a ping test to my router and it seems to vary from 1ms to 2000ms. Is this normal?

2. MartinAW macrumors member

3. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

One: What wireless router are you using?
    Two: Are you using any wireless security?
    Three: Is the firmware updated on the wireless router updated to the current firmware?
    Four: What channel on the wireless frequency are you using?

5. MartinAW macrumors member

I doubt theres anything wrong with your mac, very likely to do with the wireless. I would recommend placing your iMac next to the router and see if you continue to have problems. The chances are something is causing interference between your router and your iMac. If the issue continues when you are next to the router, try connecting via a cable and obviously if the issue continues then you will need to look at getting a replacement router.

6. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

I have also got in touch with my ISP who are looking into things their end. It seems odd that the issue would be reserved only between the router and a macintosh while the windows computers operate sufficiently?

7. MartinAW macrumors member

I don't think your ISP is going to be able to do too much. The problem is your connection to the router, not the internet. Obviously they are responsible for your router, so you want to be pushing them for a replacement one if free of charge.

If your windows computers are fine, are they using wireless from the exact same place you're using your mac?