Help me please I'm confused! (which MBP to buy)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biggles uk, Jun 29, 2013.

1. biggles uk macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I need help. I'm trying to decide which macbook pro I need ( I emphasize need as I can't afford what I want :) )
    I make aerial videos with a gopro 3 black and I want to edit them using FCPX but I need some opinions from you people out there in the know on which machine would be the best value for money to do this on.
    The gopro can shoot some pretty big file sizes so I need something that is going to be able to manage them without stumbling. Thanks in advance for any advice

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say either the 13" or 15" non retina MBP. You're dealing with some large files and both classic MBPs offer the ability to replace the storage inexpensively if you need too. Plus they come with more storage then the retina based MBP.

I'm no FCPX user but I would assume that it will leverage the discrete GPU, so the 15" may make sense though the 13" is a bit more portable in that its smaller.

I hope that helps :)

[MOD NOTE]
    I updated your title to be a bit less ambiguous so others know exactly what you're asking.

3. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Non retina? in 2013? LOL.
    Yeah, he's dealing with large files, but he can buy an external HDD. It's cheap and fast (USB 3, TB). No need to buy an obsolete notebook like the cBMP with its crap screen (low resolution, TN-panel, bad angles).:rolleyes:

Get a retina, the 15 inch if you can afford it. :)

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I agree with above. Get a retina (screen really does make a difference). If price is an issue get one from the refurb store and run your FCPX projects off an external drive.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If his needs are mobile then why lug around an external drive when a cMBP would mean he only has to worry about one thing to carry.

The cMBP is by no means obsolete, its expandability is superior to the rMBP and its performance is on par, if not better, since the rMBP suffers from a laggy issue.

6. NbinHD macrumors 6502

What do you use for the shots?

7. biggles uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for the advice chaps, I think it looks like it will have to be a 15" cMBP as I can't afford the rMBP (mind you i can't really afford that either:()and as you say its easily expandable.
    NbinHD its a hexcopter with a brushless camera gimbal

8. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i think cMBP is a good choice, unless you shoot 2K+ RED videos ... then the resolution won't matter that much.

btw you didn't state any budget lol.

----------

well, people have different budget limit so you might want to take that into consideration, rich guy :rolleyes:

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you checked out Apple's refurbished selection? From your name I'm guessing you're in the UK:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

10. biggles uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Good tip thanks for that. I have decided to order a refurbed 2012 model and saved myself £310 which will more than pay for my Final cut pro x software so I'm am rather tickled pink with that :) now looking forward to it arriving on Wednesday . Just got to get used to the apple way of doing things now after many years of using microsoft machines

11. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Please. The current retina is underpowered and has no advantage for editing in FCPX over the regular cMBP. The cMBP has the advantage in that you have a LOT more storage internally and the RAM is cheaper and actually upgradeable. The screen is perfectly fine, no need to poo-poo it just because it's not a retina.

That's like saying "a non-BMW? in 2013? LOL" when a Honda or a Ford will do the same task for way less money. :rolleyes:

12. lagisibuk, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

lagisibuk macrumors 6502

maybe, I will agree with this. nice perspective.
    btw, just for sharing. I have using RETINA MBP 13 with 8GB/240SSD... If we're not talking about performance, yesss, it's a amazing.
    maybe 15" retina will be best choice when you want to spent more money :)

but, when u like upgradable in future, maybe you take a MBP 15" with quadcore i7... someday, u can upgrade RAM to 16GB and SSD 512 (cheaper than upgrade retina :D)

13. biggles uk thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook has just arrived and I have to say it is indistinguishable from a brand new one there is not a mark on it.