HELP ME PLEASE- Internal speakers aren't recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikeshox04, Jul 14, 2009.

1. nikeshox04 macrumors newbie

So, here's what's wrong:

1- Under sound in system preferences- output volume is muted and I can't un-click it

2-Also under sound in system preferences no devices are found under output and input

3-The sound symbol doesn't show in the top toolbar.

Also I googled this same problem and a lot of other people say a red laser is coming out of the head jack on the computer, I however don't have this problem.

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

Don't really understand what you are talking about.
    Possible for you to take a screen capture of your input/output sound settings?

cmd + shift + 4 + space

anyways, mine looks like that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nikeshox04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sorry, here's what mine looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

Did you meddle with the internals before?
    What did you do before this issue occurred?

Try creating a new user and see if the problem persist.

Edit : Also try plugging in a 3.5 mm jack in and out and see if it detects or changes.

5. nikeshox04 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what you mean by meddle. All I did was open the computer ( it was new) load my back up hard drive, through time machine, and then after it was done, I noticed that I wasn't able to hear sound.

I created a new user and still no luck.

6. p3ncil macrumors regular

oh it's a entirely new set?
    time to call up apple.

7. PUNISHER80 macrumors newbie

I have this same problem with a brand new 15" Macbook Pro, has anyone figured out a solution yet? I have to wait till tomorrow to get into the genius bar

8. nikeshox04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's what I had to do to fix it. I reinstalled OSX and instead of using Time Machine to set the computer back to where my last backup was (like i did before the problem), I had to manually click and drag everything (You can do it all at once).

9. avbbva macrumors newbie

internal speakers not recognized

I had the same issue, everything worked ok with the original HD that came with the machine, then I replaced it with an SSD that I had in another Unibody Macbook 13 (not the pro) and that's when the problem started, same as you reported. I reinstalled Mac OS from the DVD provided and everything is good now. I know the audio hardware is different between the 2 macs, so I must not had the right drivers. Along the same lines, my Firewire port didn't work until the reinstall, probably for the same reason.

Good lucl

10. nikiski macrumors regular

To the OP, that's because you are running a Mac OS X build older than the machine. Even on the surface they are both, for example, 10.5.7, the actual build that ships with the new laptops may be of a later build. This kind of problem will go away with the next release of OS X.

Hope it helps. :)

11. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Same thing happenned to me after I swapped the HD from my '08 uMB into my 09 MBP. I also had FW & usb problems. Everything worked fine once I re-installed the OS from the discs that came with the new MBP.

12. PUNISHER80 macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help!! Got everything working by doing a full restore. Not what I wanted to have to do but it did work and now it is over so thank you for the help!