Help me please, spilt tea on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleLight, Feb 2, 2011.

1. AppleLight macrumors member

Ok, so I think I'm screwed unless you guys can help me.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2009 model. Now somebody spills tea on my laptop. So I quickly turn it off, and leave it overnight. I then try and turn it on in the morning, but it doesn't come on. So I read some stuff on the internet telling me to leave it in the airing cupboard, so I do that for another night. Then I try and turn it on it still doesn't work. So I've given up hope by now I left my laptop on the table, until I suddenly see it a few hours later with the light at the front flashing, I lift up the screen et voila, it starts :eek:. I'm ecstatic until I shut it off and try to turn it on again; it doesn't start.

That's problem number one: If you press the on button it will start the fan and the light at the front will come on next to the IR receiver, then it will suddenly cut and then start again. It will then stay on a black screen and the front light on for about an hour before it decides to give the old whirr of the SuperDrive, and turn on properly.

Am I screwed?

Problem number two is that I stupidly :eek: decided to try and install Boot Camp, only the installation cut out half way through, and it wouldn't restart back into OS X. It wasdn't starting with holding x at the boot screen or option or anything. So I opened up the MacBook and too out the CD with a tweezer. I then thought it would be a good idea to overturn the logic board to clean any spilt tea or anything. I opened everything up.... and nothing was wrong :confused:. No tea, only dust. Actually the keyboard has a plastic cover at the back of it preventing anything from falling into the logic board. I put everything back together, and it only boots into the windows screen with the cursor flashing and says BootMGR missing.

How can I boot into Mac OS X? :confused:

Thanks for reading, I hope I don't have to shell out for a new MacBook.. :(

How much does Apple charge for fixing a MacBook with water damage?

2. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

You should have dried it out fully before attempting to turn it on again.

3. wpotere Guest

In a sense, you are screwed. You will need to take it in for repair and depending on what is damaged the cost will fluctuate. There is no water damage discount for a MBP so you will pay full price for the parts and labor. To me, it sounds like you might need a new keyboard and possibly a logic board. It isn't going to be cheap...

4. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Do you recommend I buy a new one or try to get it fixed?

5. wpotere Guest

Depends on the system and your budget. If it is an older MBP and you have gotten good use out of it, it might be worth buying a new one. That being said, the rapairs are still likely to be cheaper.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The 2009 MBP 13 is running about $700 used. Sell the water damaged one for parts and you'll get a few hundred to put toward the replacement.

Cheers,

7. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Liquid and electronics don't mix, for a heads up next time make sure everything is dry before you try to turn it on. That's your only true shot and making it through water damage.

8. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your replies and comments and tips.

$700 = £432, okay that's pretty cheap! Thanks.

9. wct097 macrumors 6502

Are MBP's extremely prone to damage from liquid spills?

Naturally, I don't plan on spilling anything in my computers, but over the years, my current Dell laptop has taken at least three diet soft drinks to the keyboard, two of which were sufficient quantity to actually pool up over the keys. Each time, I shut the machine off, flipped it over to drain, and mopped up what I could with a paper towel. Not once did it cause a failure. I expect it's due to the design of the keyboard tray, allowing liquid to pool in it rather than run underneath it.