Help me please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmgaul, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jmgaul macrumors newbie

I am a perfect example of Apple's marketing strategy working. I have had such a great experience with their iOS products (currently an iPhone 4 and iPad 2) that I want my next computer to be an Apple.

I know a little about computers, but am a newbie with Macs. What I need is some advice on just what I need to get. I am a student, so price is a factor.

Here is what I use a computer for:

Taking notes, doing research papers, etc. in class. I.e. battery life matters. (as does reliability which is why I am not in a PC forum right now).

Occassional graphic/web design. Nothing too intense, but I would like to be able to do it without any delays. I prefer to use CS apps like Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Photoshop. I will also do some photo editing for my wife, but not anything professional.

Some gaming. Not anything crazy, but I do like to play a game every now and then. I was thinking about Diablo III but if this is the only reason that I would need to spend a lot more on a computer, I can live without it. I mostly like my throwback games like C and C generals, stuff like that.

Movies. I am a big movie fan, and I want to make sure my computer can handle movies. Most of my movies I watch streaming online via Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, those type of things. Usually I find my internet isn't fast enough to watch these at HD anyway, but I want a computer that can handle HD when it is available.

Superdrive is not a factor for me. I don't mind using a USB, especially now that all my options will have USB 3.

Weight difference doesn't bother me either. My books already weigh like 60 lbs, so a pound of computer won't make a difference.

I was so excited for the Keynote today, but looking into I really don't think I need a "Macbook Pro with Retina" (wow that just rolls right off the tongue). I don't like that in the base version you can't upgrade the SSD past 256. I also feel like I would have to up the RAM to 16 gb because this computer needs to last me 4 or 5 years, and who knows what will be next.

I keep the new Macbook as an option for several reasons: I like the slimmer form factor, I have a feeling that a lot of new things are going to come out tailored to the retina display, if the claims that it runs quietly and less hot are true that is a huge plus, and its always just a little bit cooler to have the newest best thing (vanity I know).

So here are my options:

13 inch MBP - 2.9 Ghz, 8 gb ram, 750 hd - the $1499 price point allows me to buy a good size external monitor for when I am at home.

15 inch MBP - 2.3 Ghz, 4 gb ram (to be upgraded by a buddy for a reasonable price), 750 (7200 rpm) hd - $1,949

15 inch MBP (w/ retina) - 2.3 Ghz 16 gb ram, 256 gb ssd - $2,399.00.

That price just seems like so much more and pretty much functions to put this at the very top of my range. I mean, I will still keep the lights on and everything, but it would stretch the budget. If anyone has any advice, the first two options are my top choices, unless I am missing something on the new MBP. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Go big or go home.

Not taking the retina mbp now is a big blunder. At least i think so

3. Martialis macrumors member

The 13 inch would probably be fine, I think, if the most intense thing you plan on doing is watching movies. The 15 inch would be fine too. Retina just seems like overkill when you are just looking for note taking, light web design, and movie watching.

But buy whatever you want, of course. It's your choice.

----------

Or we could make rational purchasing decisions based on the technical specs of the machine and what we plan on using it for. Go big or go home is a ridiculous attitude to take. Not everyone needs the absolute top of the line.

4. GeorgeN111 macrumors regular

I have to agree, I would not purchase a non-retina mac now. Even if I was just web browsing on the machine. I would still want the Retina Display. It makes it future proof. This time next year, all Macs will have Retina Displays I think, in terms of resale value and generally getting the most bang for your buck. I would never, personally, even consider a non-retina mac now. Unless I absolutely needed an 11" Air, even at the 13" Air, I would just go for the new 15" MacBook Pro.

5. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

1. There is no such thing as future proof. Ever. If you are including "future-proof" in your list of reasons to get a machine, stop! You are confused. I got a laptop with no USB2 about 2 months before everyone had it. I was still using it happily and successfully five years later.
    2. If you need stuff like the ethernet port, you might be better off with the non-retina until such time as the adapters and stuff actually exist.
    3. But do look at the Thunderbolt Display -- sure, it's expensive and all, but it gives you firewire, ethernet, and more USB ports. And it *is* the "extra power adapter to keep at home" that we all seem to end up getting.