Help me....please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sebseb, May 19, 2015.

1. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I have no friend who I can ask for an opinion so help me...please.

I have no computer, just an iPhone....5! My 2010 MacBook Pro died from nvidiagate. Now I do need 512gb of space, and so by configuring the stock model and also adding 2.5ghz, there's a 40$ difference with the dgpu model. Should I avoid it cause of radeongate, or having two graphics card is better by not putting all the load on the intel one? If the radeon dies, will the computer at least work with the intel gpu?

I won't be gaming on this but probably some cad/cam.

Is there a chance apple might upgrade the processor in a month or two?

Thank you

2. redb4n macrumors member

No chance of a processor upgrade within 2 months.

If your AMD graphics card dies, it's covered under AppleCare.

3. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

No, they won't be upgrading it at least before the next year.

Get the integrated GPU model. More than enough firepower for CAD/CAM.

If your GPU dies its pretty much screwed. Cant comment on whether this is gonna face radeongate or not. Wait for 10 more days. Have a look at the reviews and then decide.

4. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Nvidagate with the mid 2010 model? Don't you mean the 2011 model? Not heard of problems with the mid 2010 model.

5. sebseb thread starter macrumors 6502

sebseb

So they are skipping broadwell for sure? I would love to wait but I don't have any computer, Im using my ps4 as an Internet browser...

The dgpu is only 40$ difference. I know I don't need it but having two graphics card were you divide the load, would it extend the life of this laptop? Or by choosing dgpu I'm doing the opposite.

Also does the 2.8ghz upgrade do any good?

Thank you for all your feedbacks

----------

No the 2010 also had it, there was a recall but mine died after the recall's lifetime.

6. ~~Hello~~, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Never realised... I've got a mid 2010 15" macbook pro and not had any problems. Almost 5 years old now anyway so I'm due an upgrade. :D

Though thinking about it I used to have a problem when it went into sleep mode, this wasn't all the time. It was just sometimes you would open the macbook up and it would have a black screen. This hasn't happened for ages though. I did take it in for repair before my Applecare ran out as there was a problem with the touchpad, I think they were going to look if there were any other problems. But they didn't say they'd fixed anything else.

7. sebseb thread starter macrumors 6502

sebseb

Yeah you were lucky. Though I did game the crap out of the laptop. Basically gaming 24/7. Fans running at 6000 rpm each.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No. The 2011s have an AMD GPU.

There was a recall for *some* 2010 15" machines related to intermittent black screens and corruption due to the graphics switching hardware.