Help Me Please!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jhonnybravo32, Nov 1, 2008.

1. jhonnybravo32 macrumors newbie

I have a mac book with OS X. Its been working fine. I did a software update and now when the computer boots up the staring OS x, the bar loads up but it wont start...PLEASE HELP THANKS!

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Calm down. Explain again more clearly with more detail.

3. jhonnybravo32 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol Im calm. Nothing new really. ok so I have a mac book. I run os x on it like it came with. I decided to do the software update. At the of installing the updates the computer froze up. Now when I turn it on it starts up like normal until it gets to the "Starting OS X screen" it shows a loading bar like normal and loads all the way up but it just stays like that and does not take me into my computer. Im guessing reinstalling os x would do the trick but dont ask me why I only have disc one. Is their any way i can get the disc somewhere or something i can do through disk utillities to fix this? Thanks!

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Software updates sometimes cause the computer to take longer to start up the first time after they are installed (your computer might even reboot in the process). Let it go for a while and see how it goes.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You could perform a safe boot & restart, which will clear out the boot caches sometimes. This will take longer to startup than usual and at the login window it will say Safe Boot in red letters. Just restart from the login window instead of logging in. The other thing to do would be to startup with disc 1 in the drive and run a verify disk permissions scan by bringing up Disk Utility from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen after selecting your main language. Security updates and OS updates modify the Receipts folder in the system Library and if it didn't quite complete or was interrupted somehow, the disk permissions scan is the only way to find out if something needs to be repaired on the software end.