Help me prep a MacBook Pro for sale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Traxan, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Traxan macrumors member

Difficulty: No CDs.

I am looking to sell a 2011 MBP but I no longer have the install CDs for Mac OS or Office. So how do i remove all traces of me without wiping the hard drive?

TIA.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Go to Disk Utility and Erase All Free Space. This writes zeros over all "free space." When you delete the file, it just changes toe pointer to mark it as deleted so it appears as free space, to be overwritten later. This data can be read by data recovery programs. When you erase all free space, it writes over all the free space so nothing that is not there can be recovered.

But it is better to reinstall OS X anyway. There may be traces still in existence. You can reinstall OS X even if you don't have disks. Boot into recovery, go to disk utility, select the main volume (Macintosh HD usually) and SECURE erase it (all you need is to zero-over). Then go to install. After install it will reboot and complete it. When it gets to the setup screen, press Command+Q to close it. Now it is ready for sale. When New owner opens it and turns it on, it will boot to setup screen, as if it was a new Mac, and they can regiter and configure it the way they want.

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

If you don't have the install CDs for Office, then you probably can't legally sell it to the next owner.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Just don't install office.

5. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Yes, I don't run MS Office myself, but I think the thread starter wants to sell his Mac with all the installed software.

6. Traxan thread starter macrumors member

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

You are welcome. Hope that helps out.

8. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Another option:
    create a new user account, then make this account admin. Delete you own account(s). And then, as above suggested, overwrite the empty space for additional peace of mind.

9. Traxan thread starter macrumors member

Well I have now made a mess. I made a new generic account, Admin, with password for the password. Made it admin, then removed my old account. Reboot, and the Users & Groups app won't let me access Admin. The password is password, I know this, but it won't accept it. Is there any way to get in at this point?

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

boot into recovery partition, format data, reinstall osx

11. Traxan thread starter macrumors member

I don't have the CDs. And I want to preserve it since it has Office, which adds a little value. Plus I'm a Mac noob and I wouldn't know how to do what you just said. :\