Help me Prep for my Job Interview

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FubsyGamr, May 4, 2011.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys;

On Saturday, I have an interview scheduled for the Genius position at the Apple Store in my area. I am prepping myself, with the standard questions: "Why do you want to work at Apple?" "Name a weakness that you have" stuff like that. I am also perusing all of the Mac forums I can, so that I can "prep" myself with technical questions, as well. I am coming to you, simply for more help!

I'd love for you to post any types of questions you think might be on the interview. For those of you who have gone through them before, I understand that there is a non-disclosure agreement, and I am not asking you to break that. I simply want questions you think that they may ask, so that I can feel more prepared.

I feel that interview questions may range from "What's your favorite Apple product, and why?" to "Name a time when you have to exhibit leadership", to "What is the joint-venture program" and up through "What do you do if the MacBook Pro won't load Snow Leopard, and is stuck at the spinning wheel?"

Let me know what else you think I should prep for, and thanks in advance!

p.s. On a side note, should I let the stubble grow out for a few days, make myself look a bit more "nerdy"? Or do I go clean-cut, brand new haircut?

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

im pretty sure u can buy like a kit apple sells to test your knowledge of apple products and duties that come with the job or something like that to see if u are able to handle the Position of GENIUS. But i'm sure they will ask you why you want the job, why do you think you deserve it, do you have good people skills etc. and to answer the p.s. personally i cant stand super fresh haircuts, and idk about the shaving.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Don't think of a job interview just in terms of skills and knowledge. Try and put yourself in the head of the manager who will be your boss. The ideal candidate would be someone super smart, helpful etc... but a manager's fears when they interview are:
    - the new recruit will need a load of supervision
    - they will do or say something costly or embarrassing
    - they will undermine the team, or fail to work with others in a positive and helpful way

So while you're answering questions and showing off your knowledge, also throw in stuff which will reassure that you're 'not that guy'.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

For training you might want to go through the forum or the apple tech support forum, you'll get to see common issues and how to solve them. Try to think of the question they might ask you, but more importantly, put yourself in a place that you can answer those kind of questions. Think of more general stuff so you have your mind set to respond to precise questions. What is Apple to you? or what ever... Really, you can't think of everything they might ask you and have a canned response, how is that even an interview if you already know what you'll say. Be sharp and don't ********, if you don't know, say you're not sure and make an educated guess.

As for looks, I think you should just go there like you usually look, clean and honest. Be yourself, that's why they're interviewing you.