Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CryptoMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
GA
I purchased a new iMac (3.06GHz) recently as an upgrade to my 2GHz PM G5 which is just now getting a bit long in the tooth after almost 5 years. I am a little concerned about the iMacs longevity compared to a new Mac Pro as I have no history with an iMac. The iMac fits my computing needs but its all about the longevity for me as I don't upgrade very often. I can still return the iMac (and take a hit) and go with the Mac Pro but I must do this today. Am I concerned for nothing? :confused: Thanks for the feedback.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
What are your needs? What type of programs are you using or going to use/upgrade to in the future? How's your workflow now and within the last 5 years (i.e. percent it has increased each quarter or year)?
I can say for me an iMac would be fine since mine has been for the type of things I do such as using Flash, playing with Painter and now learning Blender. I want to upgrade to something better but since I don't need to render for hours on end I'm fine. For you, once you mention more of your needs then a better answer could be given ;)
I could say and would if you think you will or might need more power later on then get the MP as upgrading would be much easier and in the end be better for you (if your buying cycle is every 5 years). I would go this route if I could afford it and not look back.
Let us know a bit more but I think you mostly answered the Q yourself :)

CryptoMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
GA
What are your needs? What type of programs are you using or going to use/upgrade to in the future? How's your workflow now and within the last 5 years (i.e. percent it has increased each quarter or year)?
I can say for me an iMac would be fine since mine has been for the type of things I do such as using Flash, playing with Painter and now learning Blender. I want to upgrade to something better but since I don't need to render for hours on end I'm fine. For you, once you mention more of your needs then a better answer could be given ;)
I could say and would if you think you will or might need more power later on then get the MP as upgrading would be much easier and in the end be better for you (if your buying cycle is every 5 years). I would go this route if I could afford it and not look back.
Let us know a bit more but I think you mostly answered the Q yourself :)

I work mostly with FCE and some Photoshop, both of which are hobbies though. I don't see my hobbies becoming anything more. I guess I don't want to say "I wish I went with the MP.." in 2-3 years. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i think your safe. you have a beast of a machine and trust me, that is going to last you a very long time! with your current needs and hobbies, that machine is going to do everything you want and won't be out of date like a said for a while.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
If you purchased, or plan to purchase Apple Care, then I think you'll be just fine for 5 years. Your timing was perfect for getting the iMac, and your chosen configuration (top model) was a smart choice for longevity. Well done, sir. :)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I work mostly with FCE and some Photoshop, both of which are hobbies though. I don't see my hobbies becoming anything more. I guess I don't want to say "I wish I went with the MP.." in 2-3 years. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I know that feeling because while I really like my iMac, I would have loved to be able to buy a MP and just add RAM or another HDD every year until it was no longer possible. Also to be able to replace the Graphics Card if it was ever needed is a plus. Really the new iMacs are great and if your not going to sit and "wait" for an iMac to catch-up to you then it's the right choice. I've been thinking about the 3.0 iMac and getting the MBP as a tandem for what I would spend on a MP with all that I want so 2 for 1 to me is just fine :cool:
Have you been happy with the performance so far or are there any things that you have been asking yourself, could this go faster if I had…? Just wondered since I'm starting to look at doing what you did and I don't want to be sitting wishing what if :rolleyes:

P.S. you can always add an extra 20" ACD if needed which would be cool but not needed (just thought I'd add that).

CryptoMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
GA
I know that feeling because while I really like my iMac, I would have loved to be able to buy a MP and just add RAM or another HDD every year until it was no longer possible. Also to be able to replace the Graphics Card if it was ever needed is a plus. Really the new iMacs are great and if your not going to sit and "wait" for an iMac to catch-up to you then it's the right choice. I've been thinking about the 3.0 iMac and getting the MBP as a tandem for what I would spend on a MP with all that I want so 2 for 1 to me is just fine :cool:
Have you been happy with the performance so far or are there any things that you have been asking yourself, could this go faster if I had…? Just wondered since I'm starting to look at doing what you did and I don't want to be sitting wishing what if :rolleyes:

P.S. you can always add an extra 20" ACD if needed which would be cool but not needed (just thought I'd add that).

You have described my thoughts exactly! This is a very nice system. The monitor is amazing and I am coming from a 20" ACD (clear). It is silent too, which is a big improvement over my G5. My wife is starting to use iMovie/iDVD more now and did a DVD for her school. It included a 1 hr recording (.mp4) which took quite a while to encode. This was the one thing that got my mind going. But, I don't know that iMovie/iDVD would do much better on an 8 core MP either. Not sure they take advantage of all processors?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Since I've never had a MP I don't know about video times and the cores but I have to do some light (what I think is light) movie stuff using my iMac and while it's working I don't get to do anything else (just paranoid about taxing my iMac I guess). I really need a larger screen for my drawings since I don't really want to squint or more like zoom in all the time so I'm envious of a 24" iMac or any 24" + screen. I can say after looking at my notes importing my video which was 24-25 mins. it ruffly took a total of 55 mins -1 hr 10 mins. to burn the video to disc and make a second copy. I'm hoping yours went faster but I didn't write down each steps times so this might not help :eek:
Anyway I think you got one great Mac no matter what you decide by tonight. Now I guess just by reading that the Mrs is also using it will "you" have time to use it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.