help me!!!! (questions about new macbookpro late 2010)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jacsobrien, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jacsobrien, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

jacsobrien macrumors newbie

Please does anyone know the answer to my questions.
    I am not very good at this mac stuff.
    Here goes.
    I have a new macbookpro late 2010 and I want to copy the contents of my iphoto from g4 ibook, so that I can give it to my mother with the iphoto application still intact.
    I spoke with apple and they told me the right firewire but $30 dollars is just too much. so I ordered a 9 pin to 4pin firewire from everythingoutlet.com and it doesnt fit either mac, I must be missing something.
    it was $10.
    1. Does anyone know the exact firewire that I need, I only will use it once.
    2. Where I can get it in a cheaper form.
    Please help my mum is waiting for my old mac.
    Any advice would be so welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I assume they are connected to a network in your house. Turn on file sharing in System Preferences/Sharing and log into the iBook from your Macbook. You will see an option in the top right for "connect as..." use your iBook username and password. Then you will have access to all file in your home folder (if it is an admin account you get access to the entire hard drive).

Also if the file is large I would connect the laptops to your router by Ethernet and turn off Airport it will be much faster. Also temporarily turn off sleep mode on both so the transfer is not interrupted.

3. jacsobrien thread starter macrumors newbie

help me

Thanks so much for your prompt answer, I went to do that but because the g4 was a 2nd hand mac I never had a password so I am having to try to set a new password by doing single user mode thingy, and I cant seem to do it for some reason to override the admin thing.This is taking up so much time.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Boot off the OS X CD to reset the password.

You tried this procedure
    Note: Make sure spacing is correct. Everything is case sensitive (upper and lower case).